Long range boiler thermostat

Joined
13 Feb 2025
Messages
255
Reaction score
6
Country
United Kingdom
I use a thermostat with a combined boiler and I need this thermostat at the back (not front where it is now) of the property to improve accuracy. So I need a thermostat with a longer range (range signal is 9 at front 5 at back) as signal range 5 is unreliable. Is there a thermostat with a longer range? Could do wired but it's more work
 
How is the receiver positioned? If it's close to the boiler, try moving it a couple of metres away.

The distance between the transmitter and receiver is generally less important than what is in the way, i.e. how many walls it has to pass through and what they are made of. Positioning the transmitter and receiver so that the straight line between them is somewhat aligned with doorways may help.

Personally, I use wires. But I bet you don't have the thickness of walls that I do - I have internal stone walls that are a metre thick.
 
Which thermostat have you got? And how many walls does it need to “get” through?
 
From Google


Top Long-Range Wireless Thermostats in the UK


Heatmiser Slimline-RF v3
Heatmiser Slimline-RF v3
£53.84& more prices
City Plumbing& more
4.5(44)

  • Range: Up to 100 metres in open space.
  • Price: Around £40 to £65 (receiver sold separately).
  • Features: Operates on a secure 868MHz frequency, large backlit display, 5/2 or 7-day programming, and supports an optional Heatmiser Boost v2 signal repeater to extend range further. [1, 2]
 
How is the receiver positioned? If it's close to the boiler, try moving it a couple of metres away.

The distance between the transmitter and receiver is generally less important than what is in the way, i.e. how many walls it has to pass through and what they are made of. Positioning the transmitter and receiver so that the straight line between them is somewhat aligned with doorways may help.

Personally, I use wires. But I bet you don't have the thickness of walls that I do - I have internal stone walls that are a metre thick.
Receiver is about 4m horizontal and 2.4m vertical and signal goes through 1 suspended floor and a partition wall, and positioned on a partition wall. Could use wires will see
 
Which thermostat have you got? And how many walls does it need to “get” through?
Worcester comfort II RF, Receiver is about 4m horizontal and 2.4m vertical and signal goes through 1 suspended floor and a partition wall
 
Receiver is about 4m horizontal and 2.4m vertical and signal goes through 1 suspended floor and a partition wall, and positioned on a partition wall. Could use wires will see

I think that really should be fine with any wireless thermostat. Is either the transmitter or receiver next to a large metal object, like a boiler?
 
From Google


Top Long-Range Wireless Thermostats in the UK

View attachment 422492
Heatmiser Slimline-RF v3
£53.84& more prices
City Plumbing& more
4.5(44)
  • Range: Up to 100 metres in open space.
  • Price: Around £40 to £65 (receiver sold separately).
  • Features: Operates on a secure 868MHz frequency, large backlit display, 5/2 or 7-day programming, and supports an optional Heatmiser Boost v2 signal repeater to extend range further. [1, 2]
Thanks but the Worcester comfort II works in the new position (back of house).
 
I think that really should be fine with any wireless thermostat. Is either the transmitter or receiver next to a large metal object, like a boiler?
In the new position (back of house) the Worcester comfort II has a 9/10 (very good) RF signal so seems to work. No large metal objects near
 
The Worcester comfort II in its old position at front of house was next to a radiator 'in full bypass' (lockshield valve both inlet and outlet set to fully open both sides) as installed by the plumber. The original position was not ideal too close to the cooker (false warmth). The plumber said 1 bypass radiator is needed due to either the combi boiler or the thermostat position. Now the thermostat is moved (back of house and now not near false heat far away from rads cookers etc) do I need a radiator in full bypass? I would like to swap a lockshield (on outlet of bypass rad) with a TRV
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top