Long wall handrail for stairway....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. I have a stairway that runs between two walls and would like to install a wooden handrail on one side.

The stairs are straight with the exception of the last three steps at the top which turn through 90 degrees (fish tail style) but stay within the width of the staircase. I need a length of handrail approx 4.8m long. Having searched far and wide for this it seems as though the longest standard length available is 4.2m.

I am looking for a 'meaty' round (mop stick style) hand rail in pine, Richard Burbage offer a nice one but again this only 4.2m long. Does anybody know where I can get a 4.8m length? Or have you any suggestions on a smart method of joining two pieces together to make a long length?

Look forward to you valued suggestions.

Cheers! Valleyboy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys. Not fussed on pigs ear, wanted to get some fancy shiny end caps and brackets.

Please could you elaborate on the handrail bolts that you mention?

Sponsored Links
There's a picture of one type here. Different designs are made, I believe.

You will need to do a search to find a supplier.

Thanks. Looks as though I will need to bore a few holes in the handrail, similar to the method used for joining kitchen worktops?

I assume so. I must admit I've never used them; the only time I've had to join a handrail it was at an angle, and I made plywood angled loose tenons to fit into routed slots. But of course that method doesn't draw the two sections together, as the bolts would.

Does anyone know of somewhere that I can buy some hand rail brackets that incoorporate a tube-like fitting to join two handrails (insert one handrail into each end and screw into position)?

I am varnishing the handrail, not painting/staining. So I think a join would stick out like a sore thumb? One single piece would be ideal if I can get my hands on one.

If I can join them together without an obvious join line I will do so. Not sure if I can achieve this though?

Using a jointing kit like the ones suggested allows you to clamp the joint up tight, As long as the ends are square, following a bit of sanding and assuming the handrails are a good match I'd think a join will be noticeable only by you! You could always see if you could get one made up by a local timber mill?

timber lengths are available over 4.8M find a half decent joinery nearby with a spindle moulder and they will be able to run a length for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back