Stair spindles / handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posting this from a different sub forum. Guess it's more wood related!

Hope someone can advisee. Thanks

It seems to be stained in a light mahogony currently which I do not like.

I want to paint the spindles white / cream and have wood grain on the handrail part and end pieces. Is there anyway to make the handrail more like a tawny chestnut. I have no idea if this is even possible. Can anyone help me explain how this might be done?

I have zinseer bin to paint the spindles and then will paint with wood paint. Just have no idea how to tackle the hand rail and end pillar itself.

rub it down as much as you can,wipe the dust off with some white spirit on a cloth,let it dry then stain using the colour you want.

How much do I need to sand down for the rail? Do I need to sand it so the mahogany is all gone and it is back to pine? (presumably its some sort of pine). What sorta grit would be best. For spindles was literrally going to give it a very quick rub with fine grit, clean and apply the zinseer bin.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good brand of wood stain for the handrails that be great.. Not really sure what type I should be getting. Thanks

The wood is mahogany anyway. This always has a reddish tinge to it. You can always stain darker but you cant stain lighter over already darker wood that is. Abrade it back , clean off and stain with the colour of your choice. Maybe a couple of coats of varnish over the top to give it a bit of depth and protect it.

Is mahogany not quite a hard wood? I did not think this was mahogany, though I am no expert. What sort of wood is common for these type of spindles / stair rails? Perhaps I should post this in wood section of forums? Anyway, I got some 120 sandpaper, and gave small area a little sanding. Nothing too long, 20 seconds max, to see what would happen.

If I sand this back, I do think it will look lighter. As someone suggested above, after giving it a rub down with some white spirit I should be able to stain it, in say a type of oak?

We have tawny chestnut flooring downstairs, so thinking of going something similar (albeit it wont be exact. I think a type of oak should look good). Can anyone recommend good product to use on a hand rail? Also putting varnish on top, will that make it shiny?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back