Mahogany stair handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could anyone help! I am installing a moulded solid sapele stair handrail
and have cut each end at a vertical to the slope of the rail. I will want to stain it darker to match the opposite one. I am concerned that the end grain
will soak up much more stain than the top and sides, and will appear a much darker colour even when dried. Is it possible to treat the end grain to keep
looking more like the rest of the rail after staining? Any ideas would be most welcome. Cheers, Dave. :D

Sponsored Links
The end grain will be darker anyhow, but you could always seal the end up with some french polish, as long as you use either a oil based or water based stain then it will not penetrate the sealed up areas.

Thanks for your reply mate. I had something similar to that in mind, but was unsure of what to use for the best result. A small waste bit I had left over will be great to experiment with. Regards, Dave. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back