Look after the little man

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rang two local electrisians on Monday and asked if they could come around and change a light in my property, ceiling light.

I have recently moved in and need alot doing to the place, its a two minute job for someone qualified,

Neither of them has come back to me, is this the norm, or is it just not a big enough job for them.

Sponsored Links
How much would you expect to pay either of them for this work just out of curiosity?

Well i would expect it do be around £ 30, like i said for someone qualified i recon they could do it in 5 minutes max.

But thats one job,

I recon they would need to come back a further 4/5 times, £ 30 pounds a time.

So less than 1 hours work for £ 180 i recon thats good money.

What if they came round to do the work and noticed you earthing wasn't up to the current regs. How much then?

Sponsored Links
Well cause i dont know what the nor is i cant say

I have moved into a new flat, the lights worked fine, i wanted to change the light in the bedroom so i went to do it myself.

But there are just a few too many wires for me to be happy to do it.

So i made the call, i get the impression if it was worth big money to the guys they would be there in a flash, cause its a minor job, i recon they cant be bothered.

I suppose if i had to put a number on it, i would pay about £ 100 as long as it was sorted.

Oh you mean a light fitting. Dont know why I was thinking light bulb.

el_scorchio said:
Well i would expect it do be around £ 30, like i said for someone qualified i recon they could do it in 5 minutes max.

But thats one job,

I recon they would need to come back a further 4/5 times, £ 30 pounds a time.

So less than 1 hours work for £ 180 i recon thats good money.

Don't know what sparky's charge but I would expect them to have a minimum attendance fee of around £50 for the first hour. They have to include their travel/van/insurance costs, it isn't just all the money in their pocket :rolleyes:

Hello,

As has been mentioned there are many things that come into play here.
Maybe its a '4 storey chandalier Rodney ? :eek: ' or the fixing for the new light might be easier said than done.
Have any of the 'resident sparks' on here ever considered charging the cost of the fitting when costing 'replacements' ?
labour = cost of fitting ?? :LOL: :LOL:
Just a thought whilst enjoying a stella.
Ed.
(pendants might be a drawback :eek: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back