Price for Registration!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently decided to join the NICEIC as an approved contractor. In doing this, as you will all be aware of, I have to have several "jobs" under my belt. So I called my local council and asked for info on getting building control out to test and inspect my work. After gaining some useful information I was informed that each visit by the council would cost me in around £300!!! This price is the same for a full rewire or just changing a light fitting in a kitchen. Obviously I cannot pass this on to the consumer as they would, quite correctly, tell me where to go. So the next ten jobs are going to cost me £3000!!
Can I just ask if this is the norm for a council or is it just mine that are pushing qualified, but not yet registered, electricians to do work without the backing of the competent persons scheme?

Sponsored Links
Fortunately there is no Part P in my kneck of the woods.

If you inform the local council BEFORE you start the work then the client pays the BC fee and this should include the inspection.

Why do you have to use notifiable work? You could give him some non noytifiable jobs

Round here (Cambridge City Council), building control's fees are based on the cost of the work, with a minimum charge of £100 (+VAT of course) - I thought this was bad enough, but £300 seems ridiculous...

An Approved Contractor is not the same as being registered in order to Self-Certify.

All you want is the latter surely.

Sponsored Links
If you are going for the Approved Contractor status (rather than the domestic installer option), this covers commercial/industrial works as well - neither of which require notification under part P.

There are plenty of domestic jobs which do not require notification either.

If you only want the Domestic Installer status, you won't need 10 jobs for them to look at - probably only 2 or 3. There are also other competent persons schemes available ....

Check with NICEIC exactrly how many they want and what type of job. Different schemes have different requirements. One scheme will let you use your job (note the singular) as your on site assessment and then if you pass you can use that as the first one you notify once you are registered under Part P.

Check what the fees are - If I go ten miles one way I pay nearly £400 but twenty the other way it's £65.

Why do you need NICEIC? - there are others who are in my opinion much more pragmatic, don't make up their own rules and are much more helpful. Sadly they are all about the same price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back