Looking at a new blu ray player

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But seems to be a lot more variety, need plex app on it [have samsung 6500 at the moment ] so probably another Samsung, seems you can also get freeview with hard disk recording also built in , this would reduce number of boxes under the TV.
Any recommendations or things to avoid.?

Sponsored Links
Yes. I have two Panasonic Blu-ray recorders with Freeview and PVR built in. A bit expensive, though, at about £400-£500.

The problem is that, as far as I know, only Panasonic does this sort of unit these days. Even Freeview PVRs with DVD recording facility are difficult to find.

I don't know why they are so unpopular these days, though. I find it convenient and very cheap to record films and programmes from the television, edit out the adverts(!) and then record on to Blu-ray disc.

Much cheaper than buying pre-recorded films, and even cheaper than paying through the nose to go to the kinema!

Foxhole seems to have sorted out his own problem. Nice of him to let us know!

I bought a cheap Philips one from the supermarket, about £40 I think. No apps though. I get Plex on xbox, and Smart TV, and the amp picks up the music. I did get Plex working on my Now TV box once too - had to download and install from my PC. The problem with getting a bluray with loads of apps is that you tend to pay a big premium for what you can get for £30 on a dedicated app box. I had a Sony bluray, spent about £300, then it broke down after a couple of years. Never again!

Sponsored Links
Yes. I have two Panasonic Blu-ray recorders with Freeview and PVR built in. A bit expensive, though, at about £400-£500.

The problem is that, as far as I know, only Panasonic does this sort of unit these days. Even Freeview PVRs with DVD recording facility are difficult to find.

I don't know why they are so unpopular these days, though.
I find it convenient and very cheap to record films and programmes from the television, edit out the adverts(!) and then record on to Blu-ray disc.

Much cheaper than buying pre-recorded films, and even cheaper than paying through the nose to go to the kinema!

BIB: My guess would be that the mass market has moved on. I don't know if the general public ever warmed to DVD recording. It didn't help that there was a format war and, compared to recording on VHS, recording on to DVD was a bit of a faff. All the while hard drive PVRs were creeping up in the background: Tivo, then Sky+, and then the change to digital TV made it far easier to record to hard drive. By the time we had affordable multi-format machines and ReWriteable discs the PVR was answering what most people needed which was a simple way to time-shift without worrying if the programme would overrun the storage medium.

I'm one of the people with a DVD+Hard Drive recorder gathering dust because the laser failed. It's a shame as it was a useful tool for archiving stuff that is difficult to source. I was never in to archiving TV films in general though. I prefer the quality and proper sound plus optional subtitles of DVD and Blu-ray.

Never seen the point in DVD recording. Even HDD seems a bit pointless now. Stream it! I have a HDD of stuff that I cannot bring myself to delete, but at the same time, never watch. DVDs would be even worse!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back