Looking for 25L tank/cylinder for pressurised hot water use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Thanks in advance to those who post answers and suggestions.

I am looking to increase the hot water tank in a caravan (currently ony 5L!!) to approx 25-ish. I intend putting inside it a 1Kw element and plumbing it inline with the existing system and dispensing with the massive 5L one which is a useful as I am to my wife!!
I am seeking a 25L container (I think it needs to be steel) that will withstand having an element in it and having hot water inside. Dimensions are approx 300mm x 350mm x 600mm or something that does not exceed those dimensions (it needs to fit under seating area).

Also I am seeking an element of approx 1KW (dont mind 2 x 500-ish Watt.
Criterion: Needs to be cheap-ish, otherwise I may as well get it made to my design. Elements need to be as standard as possible for cheapness - no point in spending £200.00 on an element, seems ridiculous!

So, if anyone has any idea whether there is an element available and if they know where I can obtain a tank/cylinder that may suit.

Thanks, again.

Sponsored Links
Why not fit a 15Ltr x 3KW water heater mate? Are you living in the UK?

Hi, thanks for the response.

The caravan is sited where the max fuse size is 10A - yes, just 10A!!!
The reason for the lesser wattage element is so I don't continually blow the trip switch at the post. Rather annoying, but to give me a bit of leeway, I thought that with all the other things vying for power, I'd just lower the wattage.

BUT... after saying that, if you know of a 15L tank and a 3KW element that fits it and it's ready to go, I can certainly use it as a serious contender - so far, I've either got my useless 5L 480W or your suggestion - no real competition so far! 15L will take around 15 mins to heat up, so it''s not out of the question.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, forgot to mention, yes I am in the UK.

Sponsored Links
Is there only 10A for the whole caravan? or just the water heater?
Why not fit a small Propane water heater from a gas cylinder?

If it's 240Vac @ 10A for the water heater only, you can have 2.4KW water heater.

Hi,

It's only 10A for whole caravan - I don't think that it is too clever, but then I suppose power is expensive and it is their way of stopping people using excessive power with air conditioners etc.

I prefer not to use LPG at this stage, although I have seen a few possibilities, but I'm looking for an electric solution for the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Since 240V goes into 10A and lets me have 2.4KW, it'll strech the fusible capabilities if something else is powered up. I suppose if I had the option of a 2.4KW element AND an additional 1KW-ish one I could juggle it around for fast heat up or gentle replenishing.
Is there a tank that takes two elements or an element that has two settings?
Is there a standard fitting for elements?
Am I able to obtain this fitting so I can either look for it or get one soldered into a custom tank?
Are there several types of fitting?

Thanks

Gas seems to be the very best solution.
I now have the choice of two solutions:
Gas - there are plenty of systems out there to accomodate this.
Electric - the Ariston heaters seem to be good for what I need
The only consideration I now have to determine is: Is the power "swapping" going to be a problem, or should the gas solution prevail due to its better all round!

Thanks for all the input and I have sufficient information now to either make a good decision or a bad one!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back