Looking for a cheap heat gun with range of adapters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems Steinel is the gold standard when it comes to heat guns as they seem to have a huge range of accessories, however I'm looking for something cheaper as I'll be using it once in a blue moon and only for heat-shrink. Is there a cheap brand that:

1) Goes down to low temp, e.g. <100 degress
2) Comes in a kit with reflector nozzle (or I can easily purchase one)

thanks,
S.

Sponsored Links
Forget the paint stripping guns, 2000w+ is way too much.
For occasional use try one of the cheap 300w ones from ebay etc, there are even nozzles you can get.

I have a 300w heatshrink gun I got in a B&Q sale for £1 - I wish I had bought more as I'd have been able to sell them for a lot more, I tried looking for heatshrink guns for at work and they all seem very expensive.

Are you sure the 300w ones have attachments? I know exactly what you mean (think they're all made in the same Chinese factory) but I've found no attachments for them.

It's very odd. I used to use one in a past job that was small, pistol grip, and was only used for heat shrink. It did have a couple of deflector attachments, but I'm sure it was no more than a couple of hundred watts. I've seen nothing like it today. Think there's a gap in the market.

Search ebay for the heat gun (lowest price first) and the first hits are for the attachments.

The ones that are like you describe are still £200 ish, heck knows why.
Yes there is possibly a gap in the market for a cheap heatshrink gun including attachments, have a word with china and it will be filled in a month or so :)

I'd like to find a good heatshrink gun for work thats not expensive so I may be able to persuade the boss to get a few in as I don't like to see people using lighters for it.

Sponsored Links

Never heard of them. If you'd have said Leister however...

I have a Makita 110v which is decent. They do one around £110 that is temp adjustable on a digital display and comes with a nozzle kit. HG651 I believe. Available in 240v.

Search ebay for the heat gun (lowest price first) and the first hits are for the attachments.

I was searching for "heat gun 300w" and all I got was the similar pen-like unit with blue/red plastic shroud and it doesn't look like it accepts any attachments anyhow. That was cheap, but not exactly what I wanted.

The ones that are like you describe are still £200 ish, heck knows why.

Best I did was the Steinel Hot Air Gun HL Stick 350W (Amazon) which comes with four attachments including a reflector at around £75. Might go for that.

Yes there is possibly a gap in the market for a cheap heatshrink gun including attachments, have a word with china and it will be filled in a month or so :)
I reached out to my contacts, they're on it (y)

I'd like to find a good heatshrink gun for work thats not expensive so I may be able to persuade the boss to get a few in as I don't like to see people using lighters for it.

Agreed, last week-end in the car, under the dash and about 6 inches from the air bag. It just didn't feel right using a lighter. Dunno why.:D

I just realised which £200 one you were probably talking about: the Weller 6966E. The one I used in the past was remarkably similar to that, but not identical.

Just a thought off the top of my head, what about a small halogen lamp in a holder.

I managed to find the pro-rated digital Steinel 2320E on ebay (new) for £100 early last year. Great value.

I have been happy with it thus far.

The lowest temperature setting is 80 degrees but other than just adjusting the temperature, you can additionally adjust the airflow. The range of attachments is impressive- ranging from heat sinking to plastic welding.

I purchased mine primarily for paint removal. A friend who does Altro floor welding uses Leister in line
(rather than pistol) guns.

I am glad that I steered clear of the likes of Dewalt/Bosch etc. As you suggest, range of attachments is far greater than the "me too" firms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back