Looking for a job (Any help please?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Grandson (21) has just passed all his Gas Safe elements; ccn1, boilers, water heaters, cookers, fires, energy efficency and unvented. He's been working down in Sussex until recently but now with us in Chelmsford Essex for good. All his working past has been with heating installers and, like most of you blokes he's a grafter. He's put his CV out to the agencies but he's getting few responses. My question is, does any one have any suggestions or know any decent size heating/plumbing firms that he might get on to please. Any suggestions appreciated :?:

Sponsored Links
Don't know if this is still the case, but when I was at BG, there were a few mature trainees taken on. Its a good place to learn if you can ignore all the other issues regarding targets etc. Good luck to your grandson.

Sponsored Links
I have always found that when parents are calling on behalf of their sons that their children are the most uninterested !

One whom I gave a try to was about the most dreadful of all and I found later that he had failed all his gas exams apart from the basic core safety.

I set him the task of cutting a copper pipe with a pipeslice. The pipe was fitted in pipeclips along the ceiling.

Ten minutes later he was still turning the tool and when I went to see what he was doing found that he was just turning the pipe in its clips!

Tony

Obviously their are exceptions to all situations, but i can personally vouch for my Grandsons proffesional worth and ability and it's without bias. I was corgi registered for 20 years from when it was only a voluntary choice to join it and, i agree that todays reg's mean installers are much better qualified, safer and resposible. As my Grandsons previous employers buiness failed leaving him without fullfilling his commitment to get him through the qualifications i took on the task and arranged (and paid) for him to go through the training and assessments at Basildon. Having already completed his portfolio, he completed all of the assessments first time and in a couple of weeks. Now, all he needs is to find a job doing what he loves. Len Scott. :rolleyes:

I have always found that when parents are calling on behalf of their sons that their children are the most uninterested !

One whom I gave a try to was about the most dreadful of all and I found later that he had failed all his gas exams apart from the basic core safety.

I set him the task of cutting a copper pipe with a pipeslice. The pipe was fitted in pipeclips along the ceiling.

Ten minutes later he was still turning the tool and when I went to see what he was doing found that he was just turning the pipe in its clips!

Tony

Tony I do hope you didn't 'teach' him how to oval a pipe in order to slip behind a soil stack.

Obviously their are exceptions to all situations, but i can personally vouch for my Grandsons proffesional worth and ability and it's without bias. I was corgi registered for 20 years from when it was only a voluntary choice to join it and, i agree that todays reg's mean installers are much better qualified, safer and resposible. As my Grandsons previous employers buiness failed leaving him without fullfilling his commitment to get him through the qualifications i took on the task and arranged (and paid) for him to go through the training and assessments at Basildon. Having already completed his portfolio, he completed all of the assessments first time and in a couple of weeks. Now, all he needs is to find a job doing what he loves. Len Scott. :rolleyes:

Len, has your Grandson completed an apprenticeship? Or has he just done his ACS?

I regularly look at advertised jobs for Plumbers & Gas Engineers, many of which are for time-served tradesmen. I firmly believe the days of the course cowboys are numbered, with many employees required to hit the ground running.

Tony

Tony I do hope you didn't 'teach' him how to oval a pipe in order to slip behind a soil stack.

At least the oval pipe wouldnt spin in the clips anymore!! :p

Richard, in answer to your question, my Grandson completed his apprentiship and got his certificates. Whilst also completing his portfollio. All this he did where he lived down in Sussex. After his employer lost his business my Grandson therefore lost his sponsor and so moved down here with us in Essex. I then decided to take him to Basildon for an initial induction to the ACS intensive course which he passed and was accepted. The following month in March he completed it all successfully and then went back to do the unvented which he completed. I would ideally like to see him, if possible find a job on a fairly large firm with a variation of work so he gets maximum experience of many different appliances. But for now, having been out of work for some time and with his new qualifications he is breaking his neck to work.

Len it sounds like you both have to go through your local phone book of firms( if you haven't already) and type in your postcode in the gassafe website under find an installer, where local firms/ lads are listed
Not a easy one to solve. Uphill all the way to get an opening where he may not get paid in order to get some experience
Wish you both good luck with it

Richard, in answer to your question, my Grandson completed his apprentiship and got his certificates. Whilst also completing his portfollio. All this he did where he lived down in Sussex. After his employer lost his business my Grandson therefore lost his sponsor and so moved down here with us in Essex. I then decided to take him to Basildon for an initial induction to the ACS intensive course which he passed and was accepted. The following month in March he completed it all successfully and then went back to do the unvented which he completed. I would ideally like to see him, if possible find a job on a fairly large firm with a variation of work so he gets maximum experience of many different appliances. But for now, having been out of work for some time and with his new qualifications he is breaking his neck to work.

As others have said, he has to knock on doors, offer to work at reduced rates.
I completely understand the reasoning behind your concern & you should be proud of the young man, he's lucky to have such a caring Grandfather. I wish you & your Grandson the best of luck & I hope he gets sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back