Looking for a programmable, C/H digital thermostat with Bluetooth, minute boost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

For the home central heating system, I am looking to replace the very basic room thermostat with one that has more advanced features:-
- Programmable, ideally have settings for each day of the week.
- Bluetooth capability so can be controlled from Android smart phone.
- Boost feature that is in minutes (increments of say 1 or 5 or 10 min)
- anything other feature you think is useful

Boiler is a Baxi, but I wouldn't have thought that would matter.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
I think the only boosts work on 1 hr basis, or minimum of 30 mins. Wi-if would be better than Bluetooth.

I think the only boosts work on 1 hr basis, or minimum of 30 mins. Wi-if would be better than Bluetooth.
Really looking to have more control over the boost function.
Looking for increments of say 1 or 5 or 10 minutes)

Sponsored Links
I use eQ-3 TRV heads, which tick every box you have talked about, cost me £15 each in 2019, but I assume looking for an electric unit not hot water.

But to get better control likely looking at a wall thermostat that will link to TRV heads.

I use eQ-3 TRV heads, which tick every box you have talked about, cost me £15 each in 2019, but I assume looking for an electric unit not hot water.

But to get better control likely looking at a wall thermostat that will link to TRV heads.
Thanks for the tip. Good idea.

At this stage, just looking to control the room thermostat.

Will move on to TRV's later. My current TRVs are all manually controlled.

I intended to fit a new wall thermostat in my mothers house, but she died before I had got around to doing it, her central heating when my dad died was in a mess, before his death I never looked at it, considered that was his job, unless he asked for help.

When I came to look at it, it seemed it had been fitted by cowboys, every lock shield wide open, and a wireless thermostat one of these 84067_P.jpgfitted which was really not suitable for a gas modulating boiler, although would have been very good with oil, the reason is it had anti-hysteresis software, which as it approached the target temperature, started to use a mark/space ratio (turning on/off) to stop it over shooting, which defeated the boilers built in system which would modulate the output (turn it down) as the return water gets hotter.

The return water will get hotter as the TRV's close and the by-pass valve opens, so the boiler auto adjusts output to match demand, but each time turned off, then back on, the boiler reverts to full output. So the two systems were in conflict.

However that wireless thermostat did have a safety device, and if no signal in ½ hour it auto closed down, I tried this thermostat IMGP8037.jpg which did not have the fail safe, and found the living room far too hot. After the thermostat failed did not want to just fit another one, so I tried fitting electronic TRV heads, IMGP8035.jpg they were claimed to work with Nest, so I had intended to then fit Nest, however they worked very well, at first not so good, but they reported both current and target temperature TRV_report.jpg so it current exceeded target I closed the lock shield a little, and once set, they worked A1, in fact that good I never bothered with Nest.

On selling the house the new owners did not want the electronic heads, so swapped back, and found now the lock shields set, the old heads also worked A1.

On moving to this house I brought the 4 electronic heads with me, and added 5 eQ-3 heads, far cheaper (£15 in 2019) where other heads cost nearly £40 each, central heating was in a mess, so also got Nest Gen 3, the 4 electronic heads did connect to Nest, but did not follow Nest as it was claimed, and I had to disconnect them from Nest, in fact Nest has been rather a disappointment.

All the special features have now been turned off, so it is now rather a dumb thermostat. Although not helped being an oil boiler.

I have tried geofencing, both with the TRV heads and the Nest thermostat, the latter only has Eco and Comfort setting that the user can set, you could not set distance, and it tended to over shoot, and when the EE mast went down, it kept going to Eco mode while we were in the house, so it got turned off, never to be used again.

However very pleased with these heads 61dmtMm13BL.jpg they are in some ways better than the more expensive ones, also look at the Terrier i30 terrier-i30.jpgthey are very similar to each other, if more than one radiator in a room then want the bluetooth version, but although bluetooth makes it easier to program, it will only work with one phone, and it needs to be close.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back