Advice please , C/H + H/W programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , We have recently moved into a bigger house and just had our 1st gas bill in , £210 for 3 months ,
Our problem is the combi has been installed but they havent fitted any programmer or room stats , Therefore the only control over our system is the Rad Stats ,or knobs on boiler (not very accessable) and the bathroom doesnt have adjustable stats , (permenantly open ) so the bathroom is constantly being heated ,

Could somebody please recommend a decent programmer +room stat ,
Boiler is manufactured by IDEAL , model , EVO HE ,

would ideally like to have seperate control over C/H + H/W , with a Stat in baby`s bedroom ,
Have looked on plumbing supply websites but am confused by the vast amount of different products ,
thanks for any advice in advance , much appreciated

Sponsored Links
honeywell st 6400 is good and easy to install with good documentation

thanks for taking the time to reply bengasman
Doesnt seem to come with room stat , was hoping for one with intergrated room stat , to save on wiring ,
regards

Any idea what is meant by this question ?
PLEASE ADVISE WHICH SUFFIX YOU REQUIRE A or C.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Doesnt seem to come with room stat , was hoping for one with intergrated room stat , to save on wiring ,
regards
A programmer with integrated roomstat? Can’t remember ever having seen one. What exactly do you mean?
One of the downsides of not having a combi, boiler in one place, cylinder somewhere else normally hide and seek for valves and pump and then hopefully get the roomstat in a useful place.
Which reminds me, unless you plan to set the timer like they used to do 30 years ago, an hour in the morning, 2 or 3 hours at night and sit in the cold the rest of the day, the roomstat should be in the lounge.
I would also recommend a 3-port valve if you don’t have a mv yet, rather than to zonevalves. Saves you hassle with a bypass.

regards
A programmer with integrated roomstat? Can’t remember ever having seen one. What exactly do you mean?
One of the downsides of not having a combi, boiler in one place, cylinder somewhere else normally hide and seek for valves and pump and then hopefully get the roomstat in a useful place.
Which reminds me, unless you plan to set the timer like they used to do 30 years ago, an hour in the morning, 2 or 3 hours at night and sit in the cold the rest of the day, the roomstat should be in the lounge.
I would also recommend a 3-port valve if you don’t have a mv yet, rather than to zonevalves. Saves you hassle with a bypass.

ACL 111 or 112 I think used to come with a remote sensor however the OP would be better considering a wireless programmable roomstat such as a Honeywell cm927 or similar.

Sounds about right, for the couple of quid more I always take the 927.
Only once bought a Drayton timer, didn’t like it and now stick with Honeywell and danfoss.
Don’t like valve systems anyway, never install them, gimme a good combi any day of the week.

conclusion , ? Honeywell cm927
could somebody please explain this 3 port gizmo , confused and cant seem to find any info on what it actually does ,

Any advise on a bypass for the bathroom Rad , i have tried closing the valves but eventually trips boiler out with "air lock" fault.

Any input most appreciated
big thanks to bengasman + tonybhoy for usefull replies

read through faqs and plumbing definitions, will answer many of your questions.
why on earth would you want a bypass for your bathroom rad?

bypass the bathroom because when ever boiler is on , bathroom is being heated , only Rad in house without stats ,
surely this isnt right ?

Just what I thought, your bathroom rad IS your bypass. If all trvs in the house are off, your boiler should not be on. Roomstat is not working properly. Interlock defunct.

I am forever amazed how often forum members do not bother to read what is written.

First example:
Southpaw said:
Our problem is the combi has been installed but they havent fitted any programmer or room stats
To this, we get the following reply:
Bengasman said:
One of the downsides of not having a combi ... I would also recommend a 3-port valve...
The OP has a combi boiler, so all the talk about 3 port valves is nonsense.

Second example:
Southpaw said:
Could somebody please recommend a decent programmer +room stat
To this we get two replies which do not answer the question!
Bengasman said:
honeywell st 6400 is good and easy to install
and
Bengasman said:
A programmer with integrated roomstat? Can’t remember ever having seen one.
How about Honeywell CM900 series, Drayton Digistat +2 and +3 etc, plus others from Danfoss, Siemens etc etc.

Third example:
Southpaw said:
Any advise on a bypass for the bathroom Rad , i have tried closing the valves but eventually trips boiler out with "air lock" fault.
which gets the reply
Bengasman said:
why on earth would you want a bypass for your bathroom rad?
It is obvious what the installer has done. He has set up the rad in the bathroom to act as the bypass for the system in accordance with the MIs which state:

The boiler does not normally need a bypass but at least some radiators on the heating circuit, of load of at least 10% of the minimum boiler output, must be provided with twin lockshield valves so that this minimum heating load is always available.

What the installer has neglected to read is this:

When thermostatic radiator valves are used, the space heating temperature control over a living / dining area or hallway having a heating requirement of at least 10% of the boiler heat output should be achieved using a room thermostat, whilst other rooms are individually controlled by thermostatic radiator valves. However, if the system employs thermostatic radiator valves on all radiators, or two port
valves without end switches, then a bypass circuit must be fitted with an automatic bypass valve to ensure a flow of water should all valves be in the closed position.

I would hazard a guess that there is no auto bypass

The Honeywell CM927 wireless programmer/stat recommended earlier would be ideal but, if you intend fitting it in your baby's room, you should remove the TRV there and replace it with a standard valve. If you don't the TRV c ould shut down before the roomstat and the boiler will run and run trying to get the room up to the stats temperature - very wasteful.

Provided the rads have been sized and balanced properly, there is no reason why the baby's room should not be kept at the correct temperature, even if the room stat is in the hall. Incidentally, there was a discussion on TV the other day in which one person was saying that parents tend to keep a baby's bedroom far too hot. The ideal temperature is only 18C, which a TRV will easily control.

thanks for your usefull reply D_Hailsham
unfortunatey i have got it wrong , my boiler is a condensing boiler , not a combi , sorry :oops:
for some reason my brain thinks all boilers are combi boilers

I am forever amazed how often forum members do not bother to read what is written.

indeed.

Boiler is manufactured by IDEAL , model , EVO HE ,

and is a heat-only boiler and needs mv, roomstat, cylinderstat and a 2-channel programmer which, alas, do not come with remote option. At least not from proper make. :rolleyes:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

All jokes aside, I soooooooo hope I am wrong here and there IS a variation of st 6400 in wireless.

Had 2 in a row yesterday where the controls were poorly done in the first place, further deproved by a second plumber and finally completely f****d up by number 3.
Boiler in the lounge, kid you not, mv in the bedroom, cylinder in the loft, roomstat removed or never been present.

Problem: no dhw.
“what do you think is the problem?” she asks.
“put the kettle on luv, this is gonna take a while.”

Fortunately I did her mum and her sister, so she knows I can do what I promise.

If only this could be done wireless……………

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back