Looking for advice on spraying acrylic gloss with HVLP spray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after some advice for spray painting some internal doors with Dulux Acrylic gloss. I am using a Wagner cs8100 turbine unit with a Maxum II spray gun. I have been told to add Floetrol and maybe even some water based poly-urethane to help achieve a better finish.

Sponsored Links
I have one of the older Fuji HVLP units and have never managed to spray water based eggshell successfully.

Owatrol YES, water YES, viscosity cup YES, the rest???

I found that I was getting too much dry spray, because of the heat of the air going through the gun. Adding a second hose did help a bit by making the hot air from the turbine further from the gun.

I gave in and started to use acid cat instead. so much easier. Touch dry in minutes. You can spray 4 coats on the door and rehang it hours later. Toxic and smelly though.

I have also tried in the past to spray acrylic primer, someone suggested adding a little emulsion to help the chains to atomise.

i think that a compressor with a hvlp gun might have more balls and could be the trick.

Also make sure that you have the correct needle in the gun.

You could try to email

[email protected]

and ask them about HVLP and their waterbased products and see what they come back with.

Good luck, would like to know how you get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back