Looking for an oxy-acetylene welder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all,

I'm looking to buy an oxy-acetylene welder for general workshop use and repairs. I'm looking for a kit comprising of both regs, a 2 metre hose, a welding and cutting torch, and a good selection of tips (plus sundries like gogs and gauntlets) does anyone know where I could find a set for under £200. I'll be fabricating my own trolley for it as my first project :)

Also, does anyone know the procedure for getting bottles from BOC? do you just phone em up or do you have to have any licenses or anything?

thanks,

Phil

Sponsored Links
Warehousewomble said:
does anyone know the procedure for getting bottles from BOC?

yes, BOC.

why ask on here waiting for an answer that may / not be correct where if you call your local BOC you can find out in seconds.

dont forget to mention that you are only 16

Warehousewomble said:
I'm only 16 and this is my first job

Taken from here

Thanks breezer, you have a point there. Do BOC have a policy on not renting bottles to under 18's?

er, why did you bother linking your reply to a thread that made you look like a bullying asshole. look, if you are just going to waste my time stay off my damn thread.

Sponsored Links
Is your workshop a commercial building or a shed in the garden, there are restrictions on keeping acetylene in domestic buildings, though I think the small porta-pacs are OK. You will also need to get the correct paperwork from the local fire officer and display the correct Hazchem signs etc.

Jason

Thanks Jason.

By porta pacs do you mean the smaller "buddy bottle" size of the re-fillable bottles, or the disposable bottles of turbogas you can get?

The building is a brick walled, wooden roofed garage, seperate from the house itself. I'm setting up a home workshop for a small home business I'm starting, making fire spinning and street entertainment equipment. Some of the products I will be making require welding, and out of all the techniques I've used I like oxy-acetylene the best because you can braze dissimilar metals, and do very precise welds.

cheers for the advice

Phil

Warehousewomble said:
er, why did you bother linking your reply to a thread that made you look like a bullying ****. look, if you are just going to waste my time stay off my damn thread.

make your mind up will you. you just said

Warehousewomble said:
Thanks breezer, you have a point there.

What i fail to understand is why people ( you did do it) will read a reply and then ask a question that the reply gave the answeer to.

You said

Warehousewomble said:
Do BOC have a policy on not renting bottles to under 18's?

when i previously said

breezer said:
why ask on here waiting for an answer that may / not be correct where if you call your local BOC you can find out in seconds.

I am also not a bully, i just replied to a question that you asked, if I were a bully would i not be picking on all the posts you make

They are the small two bottle sets that are often used for lead burning, smallest size bottles BOC do, size K I think.

Jason

You're right breezer, and I apologise. I read the post you made when I was in a rush and wrote the reply. I saw the link afterwards and thought you were having a go at me, so I responded with the angry comment.

Please understand that I ask questions on this forum because I'm trying to find out as much information as I can before talking to people in the trade and making a fool out of myself. I'm still learning, and thought the forum would be a friendly and relaxed place to talk to similar minded people and learn from them.

I hope we can put this behind us and continue using the forum in a friendly and helpful way.

Phil[/quote]

It is not really very advisable to have or use full size oxy/acetylene bottles or welding gear at home. BOC apart, your house insurer would take a real dim view.

When talking porta-paks we mean these. Bit dear maybe, but cheap Chinese stuff costs more in the long run.

http://www.wilstar.co.uk/acatalog/The_Welding_Centre_GAS_Welding_Kits_40.html

The second one probably has a saphirre type torch. These have a combined body which you can use for both welding and light burning. You leave the hoses connected and just replace the part that holds the nozzles,then adjust the regulators, they are very light, easy and convenient in use.

If you decide to buy new I would suggest you get them from a supplier who also supplies the gas bottles too, like the above.

If you are really intent though you would have more chance with correct kit, including the trolley which serves a purpose by keeping the bottles upright in use. It not worth trying to make one really.

Would a small arc or mig set not do the job without the hassle?

Another problem with full size cylinders is the weight of the acetylene, have you tried to move one?

Oxy acetylene is the one for me. You can't braze, solder or cut with a mig welder, and the portability is much better (and no way can I afford a TIG). After looking around I settled on a portapack kit from www.thewelderswarehouse.com. all parts british made, and really solid (it arrived today).

The fire brigade and Health and safety executive don't have a problem with me storing the bottles at home, but the insurance people said it should be stored in a designated building, so I'm going to build a small lockable brick shed behind the garage. Does anyone know where to get flammable gas and explosive gas warning signs from?

Thanks for all the feedback

Try Google, loads there, here one of them. I'm sure I have seen them in building & plumbing merchants that sell gas bottle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back