Looking for cctv recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

Im looking for a cctv system to monitor activity around my property.

I live in a terrace house with my vehicles parked out front, in recent months they have been vandalised and even had my van broken into, £2500 worth of tools stolen.

With that in mind im looking for a cctv system that has ip66 cameras, at least 2. Better than 1080p picture. Ability to alert me to movement. Decent night time vision etc.

If im missing some features i need then please inform me ;)

I nearly pushed the button on a £700 swann system bu thought i would check in with you guys first.

Thanks for your input

Sponsored Links
Recently upgraded my system to a hikvision. NVR 7608 and 5 x 4MP hikvision cameras. While the total cost for everything pushed close to a grand it is far superior to the unbranded much cheaper system it replaced. Whatever cameras you decide on search on YouTube to see expected quality you will find sample videos for most cameras in day/night

What do you think of your nvr.

On some reviews people complain about the fan noise.

I was thinking of installing it in my loft

Sponsored Links
on your terraced house how wide is it and how far from the house to your vehicles, did they break in pavement side or opposite side?

most terraced houses going direct onto a pavement wont need anything mega fancy spec wise but what sort of lighting do you have and to get clear images of faces the cameras need to be installed at around 8ft or so rather than just under the roof (NVR in loft).

so a 2.8mm lens 1080p 2mp fov 82 degrees camera should give you 250ppm at around 4m from the house, you might want 2 cameras one facing up the street and one down the street but there will be significant overlap.

so no buffer garden that should pretty much take you from the house edge upto the edge of the van/ car.

What do you think of your nvr.

On some reviews people complain about the fan noise.

I was thinking of installing it in my loft

That's exactly where mine is in the loft with a power line adaptor to connect it to internet. Can't really comment on noise as I never hear it being up there

Thank you Secureiam

Yes i think i want at least 4 cameras now, so i can have over lap, i live near the end of a close so any traffic coming up here and turning round is seen twice so to speak.

Ive thought about the height of them. Van is parked on the road, path and very small garden about 4 meters to house. If they are too high i might only see top of heads? but if no out reach they are open to vandalism? from the road to my front door is a drop of about 2 foot.

It used to be a nice close but we have suffered a spate of vandalism, garage break-ins and even a house burglary. (not my house)

My car and van have been vandalised and broken into. My garage, which is in a block they keep trying to file the locks etc. My neighbours are upset too.

As you can imagine the police have been less than helpful or sympathetic

I have Foscam cameras around my house, they're not without niggles but for the pricepoint they're pretty good.

Here's some sample footage from one of my cameras - Try changing the resolution to 1080p for best image.

things change and as times get hard, theres an increase in such crimes.

spot on with the house and locations too high and you don't see much of the face, also be noted that those committing such crimes have often visited the scene prior to the event.

Thus if they are wearing things to hide there face look back at older footage, as you may find some better images.

Recently upgraded my system to a hikvision. NVR 7608 and 5 x 4MP hikvision cameras. While the total cost for everything pushed close to a grand it is far superior to the unbranded much cheaper system it replaced. Whatever cameras you decide on search on YouTube to see expected quality you will find sample videos for most cameras in day/night

Where did you get your 7608 NVR please? Hard to find.

did you get all the same lens size?

I see them on amazon, map-security, cctvdirectonline to name few, but if you got them under a grand then I doubt its from any of these?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back