Looking for curved wardrobe rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I hope you are all keeping safe and well.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post.

I am looking to create a custom wardrobe to make use of a deep section in a bedroom.

Is there such thing as a curved wardrobe rail? I have looked for ages but haven't been able to find anything. I have uploaded a drawing. I am looking to install a curved rail as pictured, with anchor points to the floor and wall as shown in red.

I will then cover with doors and such.

Please help!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the best you can hope for is to think off a say octogon with a strait between ever change off angle that will be a support bracket
if you think off it any thing away from the strait line between two supports is a lever greatly increasing the weight in a twisting motion

If you know a plumber, they can generally bend light to medium weight circular cross section tube on a pipe bender to a variety of radii in a variety of diameters (15, 22 and 28mm being the most common sizes). Problem with bending plated tube, however, is that it damages the plating, although stainless steel, on the other hand, could easily be refinished or repolished afterwards. With mild steel tube you'd need to get it lapped then plated after bending.

I have no doubt that there are engineering firms out there who can do the job, but non standard cross sections (such as oval tube) or non-standard bend radii would require a metal die to be made up which won't be cheap.

What sort of radius of bend were you thinking about?

If you know a plumber, they can generally bend light to medium weight circular cross section tube on a pipe bender to a variety of radii in a variety of diameters (15, 22 and 28mm being the most common sizes). Problem with bending plated tube, however, is that it damages the plating, although stainless steel, on the other hand, could easily be refinished or repolished afterwards. With mild steel tube you'd need to get it lapped then plated after bending.

I have no doubt that there are engineering firms out there who can do the job, but non standard cross sections (such as oval tube) or non-standard bend radii would require a metal die to be made up which won't be cheap.

What sort of radius of bend were you thinking about?
I thought I uploaded a photo. I have uploaded it now, thank you. Please see the photo. What do you think? If there is no "off the shelf" solution then I may have to just get a few straights.

Attachments

• room.png
    room.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
I think you may have underestimated how much space a coat hanger takes up.

A coat hanger is 9" (48cm). That means the rail needs to be more than 25cm away from the wall.

Have a look at the following image

hang.fw.png

The two red lines are rails that run from the front to the back. The green lines are the coat hangers. Those two rails give you 2m of hanging rail but it wont work because your clothes will be pretty much touching each other- you wont be able to get to them unless you use rails that slide forward.

The blue line is a rail running from left to right. It only gives you 1.1m but you could put another rail in front of it. Providing that you don't fill the first rail, you can slide the front clothes to the side to get to the back rail. You will them have about 2m of total hanging.

Your curved rail won't be practical. The area is too small.

not enough room for a curved rail you need about 250-300m from the edge for a garment to sit properly on a hanger so a curved rail will be very inefficient space and practical wise
best use off that space several shelves about 150-200mm deep side to side with a rail in front side to side

Last edited:
Ah man. That is disappointing, I wanted to use the space as efficiently as possible.

read my edit about shelves behind and rail in front edited as you posted
"best use off that space several shelves about 150-200mm deep side to side with a rail in front side to side"

Last edited:
read my edit about shelves behind and rail in front edited as you posted
"best use off that space several shelves about 150-200mm deep side to side with a rail in front side to side"
hmm, I can't visualise it, can I have a diagram pretty please? Thanks!

If the rail was a circle, 2πr implies 2*3.14*0.25=1.57m of rail but far less would be usable because of the clothes bunching in the centre of the circle

hang2.fw.png

BTW do the rails need to be for full length coats and dresses. If not you could have two rails at the top and two at the bottom.

just think off what a normal wardrobe looks like but puled forward and shelves behind as its a bit deeper:D

If the rail was a circle, 2πr implies 2*3.14*0.25=1.57m of rail but far less would be usable because of the clothes bunching in the centre of the circle

View attachment 218268

BTW do the rails need to be for full length coats and dresses. If not you could have two rails at the top and two at the bottom.
you can actually over think and overload your brain as you will have say 200 garments some will be long and thin some will be wide and short yes 2 hanging rails but some areas will have room underneath and some clothes will drag

you can actually over think and overload your brain as you will have say 200 garments some will be long and thin some will be wide and short yes 2 hanging rails but some areas will have room underneath and some clothes will drag

Yeah, circles are a waste of space. That's why we live in rectangles. Boy... am I square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back