Looking for fixing - no idea what it's called

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a Brenton bolt fixing. I will be drilling a hole for the bolt to fix into but I'd like to line it with a plastic or steel liner. However, I have no idea what this "hole protector" is called

Any help welcome

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
pipe.

buy a bit of pipe that will be a loose fit for the bolt (internal diameter) to allow for the door sagging or moving, and drill a hole that is a close sliding fit (external diameter) for the pipe in the doorframe or whatever.

verify that it fits, and after cutting to length, secure the pipe with a little builders adhesive.

Copper pipe is very easy to cut if you have a pipe cutter. On an outside door or gate, you need something that will not rust. Stainless steel is quite hard to cut by hand. Aluminium is very easy. You might find an ebay vendor that will sell you, say, 1-inch lengths neatly cut to size.

If you want a strong fixing, you can get a staple (keep) for a door lock, set in a rectangular strip so it can be fixed with four screws.

I did once manage to get some to take a round bolt, but have never seen them again.

Thanks John

Great idea. This is a fixing for a garden gate and the bolts (2) will be taking the weight of the gate.

The pipe idea is genius. I'm going to use 15mm speedfit pipe as the smaller internal diameter will be great for the 10mm deadbolts.

When I went searching for a circular cover I found that I am looking for an escutcheon. This will take some of the weight and finish the hole nicely.

Interestingly I turned up a "hafele escutcheon" and a "ferrule escutcheon" which are what I was originally looking for, but your idea is a definite improvement- thank you

Regards

Tet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back