Looking for Inspiration - First Steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our 3 bed detached in April. Before moving in we had already decided that we would like to convert the integral garage to a study (front) and utility (rear). I understand that for this I just need Building Regs approval and no PP.

However... there is also potential to extend the first floor above the garage, which would enlarge the 2nd bedroom. (would then be large enough to divide into 2 bedrooms or have a guest en suite) Our neighbours have done this.

We also have a 'tired' conservatory at the rear, which we would like to replace with something (possible two storey extension) and a parcel of land to the side (approx 2 metres wide)

We cannot afford to do the whole "shebang" (whatever that might be) yet, but my father-in-law thinks that we should submit PP for the whole lot now, get it approved, make a start then continue at our own pace. I plan to do much of the labouring myself and we have a couple of contacts who would be happy to do the structural & electrical stuff as and when. Therefore, you will see that I am not looking to spend unnecessarily.

That seems fairly prudent to me, any advice to the contrary?

Ok- so here's the tricky bit. With the longer term plan, we would like to enlarge the kitchen and have an open plan kitchen/diner. I can think of a couple of ways of using the space to achieve this, but feel that I might not be thinking outside the box enough, or perhaps I also have unrealistic ideas about which walls can be removed or which land can be built on.

I want to ensure that I make the best use of the space available, so I know that I need some professional advice. This work could be anywhere in the region of 10m sq (garage conversion only) to 50m sq (with 2 storey extn back and some kind of structure on the side)
I would also like to ensure that I am going to add value to my property.

Who should I call in to get some advice?
A RIBA architect? A builder? A structural engineer? A Designer, who is not a RIBA architect?

Any advice on the overall project welcome.

Sponsored Links
However... there is also potential to extend the first floor above the garage, which would enlarge the 2nd bedroom. (would then be large enough to divide into 2 bedrooms or have a guest en suite) Our neighbours have done this.
I would ensure that the foundations are adequate and that you have provision for a 300mm wide cavity wall that will be built above the existing garage, at a later date.

This may mean incorporating the work whilst doing the garage conversion, as it will be very disruptive later on.

I would ensure that the foundations are adequate and that you have provision for a 300mm wide cavity wall that will be built above the existing garage, at a later date.

This may mean incorporating the work whilst doing the garage conversion, as it will be very disruptive later on.

Thanks noseall. This is one of the reasons I wanted to get some plans etc. now, before rushing ahead to build a front wall, then knock it down again later!

If we did the foundations and ground floor front wall to spec. ready to do the upstairs at a later date, would the building inspector be able to record and evidence this, or do you think that s/he would insist on us digging up again if we did want to build upstairs at later date.

Common sense tells me that it is more cost efficient to do it all in one hit, however, if the budget can't stretch initially, providing I take your advice and ensure we've planned ahead, how much disruption/extra cost do you think it would add to do separately?

Sponsored Links
It is not unreasonable to expect the bco to register the fact that you may be adding another storey later on and that the work you are doing to the garage at present will be inspected and recorded as such.

However, it may mean paying a higher band inspection fee.

As you have already stated, it may be wise to format the project so that you encompass the whole show and just cherry pick the bits you wish to do now.

This way (provided you stay put and carry out the work later on) you may save yourself some admin fees.

Thanks freddymercurystwin and noseall.

I think I'll find a couple of local architect's technicians and give them a call.
It's a pity I don't know a bit more about the regs and structural rules as I reckon I could do the drawings myself otherwise- I do need the design ideas though!

There's nowt stopping you doing it all yourself (apart from the structural elemants that is), the regulations for domestic stuff like this whilst it may seem daunting is not really that hard to grasp, the regulations etc are all online and the Forum will guide you through it should you wish to have a go. Plenty of people on here have done it all themselves. Personally I'd recommend you download Sketchup, its free and if you can send an email you can probably get to grips with Sketchup. http://sketchup.google.com/download/

have had a play with sketchup earlier and already managed to do a rough model of my house (not to scale) have also used MS visio before to draw a scale floor plan. Not so good for "looking around" and getting a feel of space though.
Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back