Looking for mains latching timeout relay to prevent water pump flooding

Wired in parallel with pump so countdown starts when pump starts its output relay is connected in series with limit switches. After countdown period pump stops.

The concept of a countdown timer is that once the delay is reached it operates. Easy to design.

Out of interest have you a projected budget for this project?

Sponsored Links
How about whats known as an INTERVAL ON timer.
Its not mechanical but will lock off till the Voltage from the float is removed and time out, to off if the floats stuck.

"Upon application of input voltage, the output is energized and the time delay (t) begins. At the end of the time delay (t), the output is de-energized. Input voltage must be removed to reset the time delay relay."

Interval-On-cht.jpg

https://www.macromatic.com/blog/relays/understanding-time-delay-relay-functions

http://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_enDocType=Catalog&p_File_Name=DIA5ED2130103EN+(Web).pdf&p_Doc_Ref=DIA5ED2130103EN

Page 15

Last edited:
Out of interest have you a projected budget for this project?
< £30

How about whats known as an INTERVAL ON timer.
Its not mechanical but will lock off till the Voltage from the float is removed and time out, to off if the floats stuck.

VERY interesting chart of relay functions - never knew there were so many! I think I found the one, but the Schneider on is £40+VAT. Now I know what I'm looking for I'll dig further - thanks!

Thanks for all the replies.

Well, in the end after a lot of thinking, I came up with this lot:

Total is £34 inc VAT and postage. I already have a box to house it in.

Timer switches ON after 10 mins, triggering latching relay to BREAK the circuit.
The problems is resolves are:

Someone leaving tap on
Float switch failing
Outside well running dry
Pipe burst and leaking

For £34 I think this is reasonable. I just need to build it now - #weekendproject

Will post end result!

IMG_20181016_095010_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back