Looking for recommendations of a quality external house paint for render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've got a new build home that I would like to paint. The finish is smooth render.

Its a pretty large property around a mile from the beach so there can be salt in the air. There are also a number of trees surrounding.

I'm wanting to paint in an off white colour and ideally something that will give me some mileage before requiring a repaint.

I did consider using a self cleaning paint like: http://www.sto.co.uk/en/products/facade-finishes/facade-paint/facade-paints.html but I'm concerned about how I could ever renew over this if and when it failed.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
I dont know anything about the "Facade Paints" ref. above, perhaps you could transfer the question to the paint forum?
Does the present render appear to be sound and fit for purpose? Is it painted at the moment?
Any painted surface must be a masonry paint and it must be prepped for re-painting.

Probably a Pliolite based masonry paint like Dulux "All Seasons " Or Leyland Tru guard.

Thanks Vinn, I did ask over on the paints forum but had not response so thought it may be better suited here..

The house has been up for just under 4 years. The render is sound and currently untreated. I did plan to give it a light hydro chloride wash prior to any painting, to clean things up.

Thanks Robbie, have you used any of these before? Do you have a pref between the two? How many years would you expect either of these to last before repainting? (Hard to answer I know but would rather have real life rather than manufactures suggestions.)

Cheers, Devs ;)

Sponsored Links
They are rain proof in 20 minutes, The Dulux is about 5 -8 years. When you get a couple of coats on its a nice finish.

Thanks Robbie, they sound perfect mate and I was going to punt for the Dulux.. However I've just had a look on the site and they don't do an off white colour :(

Great ;) is that likely to cause me any problems further down the line should I wish to reorder or is it precise? Sorry for the q's new to this ;)

Many thanks

Most paint is mixed using a light base coat, or dark, or medium basecoat. If you use standard white and have that mixed to the colour of your choice, it could be slightly different than if mixed with a basecoat. Having said that if you have it mixed using the standard white each time, the colour would be the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back