looking for some advice really on decking problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did decking job earlier in the year at the end of a customers garden
one shed on the left which i decked around.

got a call weeks later saying they got puddling on the decking but doesnt want any holes drilled in it - so i left it for a while - but then i had trading standards on my case -

so i went round the next day (about two weeks ago) and tried to lift some of the boards up on the left hand side of the deck - puts some packers underneath to create a slight fall - so the water was no longer puddling.

now decking is usually for sitting on or having a bbq etc...

I thought about it afterwards. what has put a strain on it is they have put a big 8ftx 6ft childrens play-shed on it.

If i had known that - it would of strenthened the area a bit more just in case!

just missed a phonecall tonight off trading standards - could i give them a call - but i dont know yet if all at is ok like a follow up call or another issue.

So the question is - is it my problem that they havehad issues with the deck by putting the shed on it? - Do i have anything to stand my ground with !

Job price was approx £1300.

would love someones oppinion please & in the meantime I will upload a picture if i can.

Craig (Coventry)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo craig melvin sorry to hear you problem

8x6 cildrens playshed about 300k-500kg
6 or 7 adults at a bbq 500-1000kg

did you leave a 4-6mm gap between boards

yes i left the gaps in between about 5mm so thats ok

I think if I new the shed was going to be put on there - I would have put either more support in or decked around it like i did the shed on the right.
The permanent weight of the shed has cause the deck to sink slighttly - not much but enough to create a bit of puddling. the customer is fedup with having to brush the water off.

It wasnt like this until they put this permanent shed on there! - it isnt light! - I couldnt push it out of the way or anything.
regards

Craig

Sponsored Links
assuming its pooling where the angle changes run a saw along the join to give a 2mm gap[circular saw thickness]3mm deeper than decking thickness
you may have to do it more than once

because the decking changes angles rather than spreading the load farther away the join is acting like a hinge so needs 50% more to twice as much support
//www.diynot.com/network/craig melvin/albums/14149/52349

Should be able to handle a shed easy!

Not 100% familiar with decking work but if the ground aint hard clay soil then I would reckon you'd need a sub base with membrane in between the sub grade and sub base to stop any movement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back