What's wrong with my decking in this photo please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to give my decking some extra protection and treated it with some decking stain. I chose the product I did because it states on the tin that it does not flake or crack. I cleaned the decking, applied the product with an decking applicator and brushed out any puddles that gathered in the grooves as per the instructions. It looked great when it was completed.

The following spring it was flaking, so I brushed off all the loose and flaking stain, cleaned it thoroughly using a deck cleaning product and started again, 12 months later it had started to flake again so the process was repeated. Now it's a mess again as the photograph below shows. If you click on the photo you will see the full horror of it. It looks as if it's been around for decades not just for a few years.

I've had enough of applying treatment every year in terms of time and money and would like something more permanent.

I tried cleaning it off with a wire brush, but after 'blood sweat & tears' found that whilst some comes off easily, other bits are tenacious and will not shift. I wished I had left it untreated in the first place :cry:

Interestingly, where the deck has been covered by planters or pots the stain is sound.

So what can I do please to get my deck nice and ship shape for this summers BBQ's please

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy

I assume the jet wash is to get all of the old stain off. Will it do this if a wire brush won't? Ironically I got rid of my jet wash when I got rid of the pavers and installed the decking

Good job there's no hosepipe ban in Notts :D

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the hell that is decking stain removal. You have my sympathies.

Assuming the area is not too big i would try a few screws to see if they come out and if so lift the boards and turn them over. Of course if the screws shear off or the heads ring out then thats probably a no go.

Pressure washer is your best remaining option as herts has said but even that might not get 100% of it.

Spread the work to anyone you meet. Don't do anything to decking other than oil it.

Do you mean Wickes?

I have use linseed oil on external hardwood sills, and been quite pleased with it. I might try decking oil. If I had any decking.

I have just oiled mine again and have always used cuprinol, but this year I don't know if they have changed their composition because there is a definite smell of linseed in it which I have never noticed before.

Do you mean Wickes?
;) In the reviews it scores 4.4 out of 5 (Oh and the last bad one isn't mine by the way!) I can only guess folks have reviewed it when it was first applied, and for a while mine looked good.

In my original post that I said it says on the tin that "it does not not flake or crack" so I was going to write to them about it, however, it actually says that it "resists flaking and cracking" so I suppose that's their get out. Although I wonder what a product that doesn't resist flaking or cracking wood look like!

I'm puzzled. To me stain is something that soaks into the wood and er..stains it. (like the old colron woodstain) I had seen other decks in a similar mess to mine and assumed that that they had been painted. However this product although it's called "Deck Stain" is more like paint, it sits on the top and flakes off, rather than socking into it.

Going to hire a jetwash at the weekend, see how I get on with that.

Assuming the area is not too big i would try a few screws to see if they come out and if so lift the boards and turn them over.
Thant's a good idea, but unfortunately it is big and the boards are nailed down with a nail gun.

Pressure washer is your best remaining option as herts has said but even that might not get 100% of it.
That's what I'll try next. Mrs Stem thinks in another couple of winters and it will all be gone anyway. I'm not so sure so will try to encourage it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back