Looking for specific steel: 152 x 152 x 44 uc..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know they're not the standard size but I need a UC in the size 152x152x44, does anyone know where I might be able to get them?

We went through a well known loft company to get plans drawn up but realised due to a financial error that we can't afford to go through them anymore. We can't afford to pay for new plans but the independent company that the previous loft company uses to do then plans usually plan in this sized UC however they don't know which supplier that loft company uses.

We could of course use another type but we don't want to lose ceiling height.

Many thanks for any advice you can possibly give me!

Sponsored Links
The 152 x 152 UC section has never been available in that weight, so whoever drew the plans doesn't know anything about steelwork. The heaviest section in that size is 152 x 152 x 36. Above that size, you would be looking at one of the 203mm deep beams. (there is a 178 x 102 but that may be too slender for your application).

The 152 x 152 UC section has never been available in that weight,
Tony, the 152x152 UC 44 is an "Advance" section, made by Corus, and is in addition to the sections found in BS-4.

I think though that they are pretty difficult to get hold of and as such I've always been steered away from specifying them.

In the Blue Book it recommends that you "check for availability" before specifying. It's possible they are generally rolled to order for large projects, although I don't know.

It's probably been specified because there's a tight limit on depth and a 152x152 UC 37 won't quite work, while a 203x203 UC 46 is too deep.

It's possible that a pair of 180x75, or 180x90 PFCs bolted back to back might be alternatives, or something like a 160x160x14.2 SHS.

Does the beam span onto masonry either side, or does it form the top member of a frame? I ask because if it's part of a frame it may limit alternatives that you have.

If there is no alternative, talk to some stockholders and find out if they are able to source a beam from Corus, assuming they have none in stock. There will probably be a substantial cost and wait involved though.

In the Blue Book it recommends that you "check for availability" before specifying. It's possible they are generally rolled to order for large projects, although I don't know.

Just looking on the Corus website and they state that "N.B. There may be a minimum requirement associated with non-standard sizes", so as I suspected, finding a single beam might be a bit of a mission.

Page 8 of this document if interested.

Sponsored Links
RR; thanks for that - never come across that one before! :oops:

Never too old to learn. And its a positive offset to the efforts you kindly apply to posting knowledge on a forum.

I often get asked by others in my field why I put time and effort in to forum reading and question responding, well the answer is two fold. One to help people and the other is to continue the learning process.

Both make me feel good.

Old Chinese proverb;

'Better to be a fool for five minutes than a fool for the rest of your life'.

Very true!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back