Looking for the best way to put shelving into this alcove...

awm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a child counsellor setting up a practice. I would like to put shelves into an alcove area of my treatment room, so I can store my equipment on them.

I'm just wondering what kind of shelving would be recommended here? I need something affordable and simple to fit.

The alcove is 48cm wide (wall to wall). See images below...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
48 skirting to skirting or wall to wall?
Easiest, if a little industrial, is spur shelving.
Two vertical steel rails and clip in brackets then shelves cut to size

48cm wall to wall.

Spur shelving could work. Can you provide any links for specific ones I might need? And which shelves to use? I'd rather not cut to size if I can avoid it.

I took a 25mm thick oak 'sleeper' from my local outdoor timber place and made a great alcove shelf. You put basic battens on the wall then cut or route a corresponding slot in the bottom of the shelf and because of the thickness of the shelf the battens are hidden. A floating shelf, voila.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I took a 25mm thick oak 'sleeper' from my local outdoor timber place and made a great alcove shelf. You put basic battens on the wall then cut or route a corresponding slot in the bottom of the shelf and because of the thickness of the shelf the battens are hidden. A floating shelf, voila.

Nozzle
Interesting, again can you provide any links? I'm a total novice.

Other than publishing photos of it, there's not much more I can offer
full

full

full

https://www.nelsonpotter.co.uk/product/oak-sleepers-new/
Nozzle

a bit complicated I must say. if you just want some simple shelves up.. some shelving brackets.. plugs... drill.. screws and shelving material is all you need. it would be somewhat basic though.

sorry I thought from nozzles description that "floating" shelves had been installed. the pictures look like shelves on battens? If the shelf had been routed out to invisibly accept the batten i would be a bit more charitable... but it doesnt look like it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://spurshelving.co.uk/s.aspx?c...NG-SYSTEM/SPUR-STEEL-LOK-BR-FROST-WHITE&gw=2&

The more you add to the shelving, the more "invisible" the brackets become
Another option is to fit supports to the sides of the opening but you only have 48 cm to play with so it might be awkward to do

Shelving does come in various premade lengths but 48 would possibly be 30 or 40 cm, next size 50

You could buy a Billy bookcase at 40cm and add a strip of 4cm on either side to blend it in

the pictures look like shelves on battens? If the shelf had been routed out to invisibly accept the batten i would be a bit more charitable... but it doesnt look like it to me.

The shelves have a rebate back and 75% of the sides that hide the battens once the shelf is in place. The shelf is 25mm deep, the battens only 1/2". When seen from the front or even a lower angles you can not see any battens. The photo doesn't show it that well.

Nozzle

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back