Looking to get into the gas trade, advice needed

and because of more people coming in there now will always be a shortage of work times are hard and going to be harder

Sponsored Links
hopefully the sites will start up again and get most of these boys back to installing

:)

sorry corgiman but one site on the isle od dogs is over 60% eastern european its late now the olympic stadium guarenteed work to locals over 25 % romanians and another 40% non english >>> but you have to live local oh well i'm old but i feel sorry for the young kids who want to learn as now ist cheaper to hire black labour ( not the colour please ) than to take on an apprentice

Apparently gas engineers are earning about 35k a year now ( it was 60k about 2 years ago) even more if you are self employed!! Get real mate, all the rates have dropped drastically for experienced gas fitters/engineers, trust me, I know, as a newbie to the industry after getting your bit of paper you will be swallowed up and spat out disillusioned, by agencies or firms wanting the job done for buttons. It`s not glamorous and the pay sucks to what it was 5 yrs ago. my quals are due up this year and I`m working now as a maintenance plumber!! dunno wether i can be bothered taking the gas quals again, on a cushy little number, van, fuel supplied, paid when off sick,pension and no stress over wether I`m responsible fer some old duffer chokin on carbon monoxide.......Life`s cool unblocking bogs.......... ;) and if all else fails....apparently I can become an electrician in me spare time, even wif no experience....Either that or a microsoft certified engineer.....endless opportunities...this time next year, i`ll be a millionaire Rodders! Stick to your call centre job mate, in 30 years you`ll be deaf and Ill have titanium kneecaps, Oh, how we`ll chuckle..

Sponsored Links
Gooner, if the the truth about the Heating/plumbing industry still has not sunk in, try the BG academy, they do at least have a few million customers....

DH

Hi, this is my first post on this forum so forgive me if questions like this have been asked countless times before but I am looking into advice on getting a trade behind me.

I have looked at alot of carreers and think that becoming a gas fiiter would be best for me, I am 25 years old and currently work in a call center, the other day I had a representative from train 4 trade skills come to see me. I was wondering If anyone has had any experiance with them and wether they will be able to get me on the right track.

I have already phoned my local college to see if they do any apprenticeship courses, but they said the only courses they do are ones that will give me knowlege of the gas trade but without the required certificates to get into the bussiness, they said for this I will need to be working on site for a company which would provide me with the neccessary gas safety certificates I would need to begin a carreer.
This Is something Train 4 trade skills are offereing, but I am really hesitant to go with them as I have heard alot of mixed things about them with alot of people saying it is a scam, but at the moment it seems as though my only real chance of getting into the trade.

I would be greatfull if anyone here who has had or knows of anyone who has had any experience with train 4 trade could tell me wether they are good to go with and wether gas companies ect recognise their certificates and look favouribly (or unfavouribly) upon people who have gone through them. I would hate to pay all that money for nothing and waste two years of my life for nothing.

Apologies if my first post was a bit long winded but I'm really lost at the moment and this is something I really want to do, any help would be much appreciated.

listen pal, and listen good this is for your own benefit ok, there are far to many poorly skilled gas engineers about i know of at least 10 on the dole.
do not come into this industry unless you have a 4 year apprenticeship

sorry mate but you need to be told the truth.

already are too many IMHO

not enough jobs to go around at present[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, I was making a good living at it until a couple of yrs ago, my money has halved in that time.

Every third person I meet is training to be a plumber or heating engineer now, thinking it is the path to untold riches.

They are in for a big let down!

Sponsored Links
Back