Career change, which trade?

Sponsored Links
LOL @ Vice.

Tube drivers are generally hired from within the company. And the exams and knowledge needed is a bit more than pressing the odd button apparently.

Just a word about trains and stuff.
I have a friend who started working for the railways from a job in the local job centre. after a few years of moving about and doing exams within the company he now drives a piece of machinery and I believe earns quite a bit more than 50k. tho the hours and shift patterns are pretty hideous.

I was working for an underground worker yesterday and he told me that there is a 2 year wait to get onto the tube drivers list. They only employ someone when some else retires.

He also told me that all they do is open and close the doors, everything else is via computer.

Andy
Yeah but wot abaht the geezer @ the station who says in a posh voice ---- " Mind the gap" ---- that must be a cushy number :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
One occupation you might consider is working as an independent aerial and satellite dish fitter. Obviously you'd need a head for heights and the ability to carry a ladder!

However, don't restrict yourself to aerial/dish installation because there's too much competition. Get to grips with fitting extra TV points, extra phone points and extra satellite TV points. That's where the real money is because a lot of the cowboy fitters simply don't understand RF signals, amplifiers and cable.

In particular, get to grips with home entertainment and High Definition systems. The main skill here is the ability to run cables around without leaving a mess!

As long as you are simply plugging equipment into existing power points, you don't need ANY qualifications whatsoever. However, you should befriend a local electrician, plumber and plasterer that you can call on at a moment's notice in case you screw up.

There's an on-line course here that will get you started:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/course.htm

Try looking into renewable energy, get your mcs qualification and set up your business. This market could well take off with so many incentives.
Take a look at the Corgi website for a bit more info.

Try looking into renewable energy, get your mcs qualification and set up your business. This market could well take off with so many incentives.
Take a look at the Corgi website for a bit more info.

Err, migfht want to look into incentives for PV panels though... about to be cut from 42p to pretty much half that!

Sponsored Links
Back