Advice needed on career options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope I have the right forum for this but I am sure someone will let me know if I haven't!

I was just looking for some general advice really with regard to my career crossroads in plumbing. Having become a qualified plumber (C&G L3) in 2006 at the age of 28 I embarked on a topsy turvy career path of many applications, false hopes, dreams of gas qualification but having had to maintain a decent wage to pay the rent I started off by working as a mate via an agency in London doing various jobs on site and putting my training into practice where possible. Yes a fair bit of winging it was done but with no apprentice route I had no other choice.
So over the last 4 years I have a mixture of working via agency and contacts I find myself questioning the wisdom of carrying on with the trade.
I have tried many angles in from going through the yellow pages calling everyone, knocking on site doors, being on the books of all local agencies and job searches through the internet, newspapers etc but I still can't find long term work!

As I still feel unprepared I don't feel confident enough to go it alone, even if there was the demand out there. So I take the odd piece of agency work which does tend to be as a plumber whereas I would feel more comfortable as a improver but there is just not the improver roles out there!

So where do I go from here? Obviously the ultimate would be to get an improver style role with a company but I just can't see it! Is the situation going to improve? Can anyone help me out with some sound advice?
I expect the harsh words that will no doubt follow!!

Sponsored Links
What is stopping you setting up on your own?

Plenty of 6 week wonders setting straight up with their box of cheap Silverline tools and making some sort of living.

Its a saturated market but there's a lot of very shoddy work being done at the momet (round here at least) so good plumbers are always in demand. Only you know how good you are.........

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
To make money self employed you need to be able to do full bathroom revamps tiling, electrics, plumbing, complex shower units etc.

or on the gas absolutely everything. hope that has helped ;)

a customer with a bit of an idea of the trades will look right threw someone who is not upto scratch

Hello mate, i am a time served heating engineer (industrial, domestic) my advice to you would be not to tell a company that you are not very experianced. I would try to talk the talk then wing it as much as you can, picking up knowledge along the way.

We have all done this at some point in our lives and those of you who are thinking NO I HAVENT are either stuck in a single field or lying to yourself.

We all came out of our time after 4 years and jumping into our 1st few jobs thinking 5hit im in too deep but time plays a big part in gaining confidence and the only way to gain confidence is by working at it.

Yes you will make mistakes along the way but thats how we learn (as long as were safe).

I could at 30 confidently build you a house from scratch minus the brickwork and plastering. The only way i gained all this experiance was by WINGING IT aong the way

Stick with it mate times are hard now but site work will pick up soon

looneyfitter

Appreciate your words...think half the trouble has been going to one site job and doing a really good job and impressing the bosses then going to another one and being sussed out as being a bit slow on fitting rads, installing bathroom suite etc...
So you think its pointless trying to get on a firm at an improver style level? ta mate for the tips

So you think its pointless trying to get on a firm at an improver style level? ta mate for the tips

No mate not pointless but there is more money in going it alone in my experiance. By all means go work for a company yeah you may be slow, but hey practice make perfect.

Do you think we / I have been super quick since the start? NO gotta start somewhere mate. If people think you a bit too slow then so what, peeps will know if you a grafter or just plain bone idal, theres a difference. The more you do it the faster you become.

Ive been on sites with 10-20 year eperianced plumbers who still struggle fitting rads level ffs lol

This may sound daft but if you want to practice hanging rads the knock a 3x2 frame together, 1/2inch ply the front and nail 2 lengths of 3x2 to the bottom to create legs and fit you rad to that over and over again......

Hth stick with it mate.

Id try the companies route and i would be honest id rather hear the truth and know what i was getting if i was taking someone on.As long as you realistic about the earnings you would get id probally take on a application like yours if it fitted what i needed at the time.

I know its meant to be quiet but right now im looking to take on someone as im flat out and turning stuff down.A improver/semi skilled is tbh what i would be looking for ,someone who i can leave on site whilst i go to other jobs and not be terrified the apprentice is emptying the powerflush machine in the lounge again.

So if theres others like me out there go for it you never know.

not near Pimlico then :LOL: .

I heard you can work until 99 years old @ one plumbers there :idea: You`ll need to the way little britain economy is going :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back