Looking to purchase a Soldering Station

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
funny you mention atex ban-all-sheds I was in tait components yesterday and the guy mentioned exactly the same brand to check out.

If you can stretch to it, an OKI Metcal iron will be far better than the majority of brands mentioned in this thread. PACE and ERSA are also pro tools.

The PS-900 is a 'basic' iron from their range, but is at temperature in 10 seconds, you can change tips on-the-fly and will deliver up to 80W into the RF heater:

Ebay has a nice one going with some tips:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKI-METCA...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item337017bbe5

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have an antex iron.

We used weller irons where I used to work as you could get them in 110V. These were also good.

I've got 2 Antex irons. I only bought the second iron to replace the element on the first one. (After 25 years service. Does nothing last any more?)

I've got 2 Antex irons. I only bought the second iron to replace the element on the first one. (After 25 years service. Does nothing last any more?)
FWIW, I've always used Antex irons (both 230/240V ones and 12V ones), and I've sure some of those I have (still working) are at least 25 years old.

Kind Regards, John.

I found a great Catch-22 with my 15W Antex the first time I needed to replace a failed element.

The connections to it inside the handle are soldered.....

I found a great Catch-22 with my 15W Antex the first time I needed to replace a failed element. The connections to it inside the handle are soldered.....
Yes, a Catch 22 for anyone with only one iron! However, replacing the element in a small Antex iron is probably never sensible - after all, such an iron consists only of the element, a little bit of plastic (the handle), the lead and a bit - so it's usually easier (sometimes maybe even cheaper!) to buy the whole thing.

Kind Regards, John.

However, replacing the element in a small Antex iron is probably never sensible - after all, such an iron consists only of the element, a little bit of plastic (the handle), the lead and a bit - so it's usually easier (sometimes maybe even cheaper!) to buy the whole thing.
Possibly easier.

Possibly cheaper.

And undoubtedly very, very wrong.

I did have another iron, so I was able to replace it, but I happened to notice that the pins on the element were the same size, or very close, as the pins on the back of a pick-up cartridge, so I soldered 3 of the little push connectors used for those onto the end of the flex.

Of the irons i've used my favorite is a weller wmp (I believe that stands for "welller micro pencil"), heats up real quick, really light to handle and has the power for the vast majority of soldering jobs.

I wouldn't buy one personally though unless I was doing a whole lot of soldering. Too damn expensive (probablly arround £300 once you add up iron, station and stand).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back