Loop switchlive with permanent live on extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I hope I'm not going to scare anyone with my understanding.

I've bought an inline extractor with timer facility BUT I don't want to use the timer (might need to in the future) option as I'm trying to use a separate PIR sensor with it instead that has a timer facility.

I called Manrose and they said I need to loop the switch live with the permanent live on the fan. Does this mean I can simply use a connector block between the two? I don't have any 4 core cable.

Loop.PNG

Sponsored Links
fan linked L and SL.jpg
Put link between Live and Switched Live at the terminals in the fan.

EDIT Error in sketch corrected. Now shows Switched Live instead of Live

Last edited:
If you might want to use the timer in future, wire the PL and turn the timer adjustment to the lowest point.

It will be much easier to adjust it in future, than to clamber about running and connecting an extra wire.

BTW the wire you are using now will be the SL, so really (see Bernards diagram) it should go to the SL terminal, with a link to PL.

Sponsored Links
I imagine a sheathed conductor of the same size as the feed (1mm or 1.5mm) would suffice.

But do you need any permanent live feed at the fan if the switched live is fed from the ceiling rose?

Blup

Before I called Manrose, my understanding was that I just used the SL and not connect the PL at all because it was the PIR sensor that was feeding it and I didn't want the timer on the fan to kick-in so when the PIR sensor timed out, the fan would simply stop. Obviously my way of thinking was wrong if I still have to connect the PL

If I was going to use the timer function on the fan itself in the future then it would mean the PIR sensor was no longer required and I would either wire the fan up to the bathroom light switch or use a separate one albeit 4 core.

You wire it to the ceiling rose, not to the light switch.

Yes, to the ceiling rose!

That said, if I wanted to use a separate pull chord for the fan, I wouldn't be able to use the existing bathroom ceiling rose (other than power source) would I since that's being used for the light switch?
Would I need a JB instead (what can I say, I'm a DIYer, can't get enough of JBs) for the fan's pull chord?

I've just 'roughly' wired it up and I'm pleased to say it's working with the PIR sensor.

However, I'm using 1.5mm and have to say it's a struggle to connect SL & PL together. For a start, I can only fit a single core into one fan connector so I've had to use a reasonably large connector block (I have smaller ones but 2 cores won't fit in one end) but I can't close the cover.

I do I have 1.0mm cable around but is that advisable to mix the two? I remember one member stating they use 1.0mm for the switches so they can can tell which cable is used for what but some other users were against that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back