Loops in central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am proposing to upgrade my existing radiator circuit to something like modern standards (something I feel I can do myself) as part of a long term plan to replace the boiler as well (something I will need a plumber for). For the radiator circuit, I am thinking of using Honeywell 'S' Plan so will need to add 2 motorised valves and a pump, let us assume these are mounted together as a 'control group'.

I would prefer this 'control group' to be accessible in the kitchen (for maintenace) rather than under the upstairs floor (the logical place would be an access nightmare), say near the ceiling above and to the side of the existing floor mounted boiler. It would be logical for the outlet pipes from the boiler to enter the 'control group' from below as this fits in well with the existing 4 pipes coming out of the boiler.

However, there seem to be very few modest sized (18kW) floor mounted condensing boilers, almost all are wall mounted. If I later have a wall mounted boiler fitted, in the conventional position on the wall, the top exiting water pipes from the new boiler will likely be well above the inlet connections to my 'control group'.

Is it permissible to think about looping the outlet pipes from the new boiler down and then up again, so. It seems to be to go against good practice but would it work?

Allan

Sponsored Links
You can do most things, if it's a sealed system.

Careful about creating 'air locks'.

Why not change the boiler at the same time? Would make more sense

Sponsored Links
sturharv said:
Careful about creating 'air locks'.

Why not change the boiler at the same time? Would make more sense

Yes, but it would make it more difficult to split the work between myself for the radiator network (I work slowly) and the installation of a new boiler. I particularly want to spend time thoroghly cleaning and repainting radiators before re-installation, as well as fitiing new valves etc. I also understand that the BSP steel piping may not appeal to many plumbers these days; hence tackling that bit myself?

Allan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back