Loose bannister hand rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Please help! I have a bannister thats working its way towards freedom. The part where the handrail meets the wall has become wobbly. There isn't that much give, but enough that the plaster on the wall has cracked and wants to fall away. There isn't a newel post where the handrail meets the wall, should there be one? I'm not really sure how to secure it? Could I just glue it, or will it involve nails and screws?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
Penster

Sponsored Links
is the handrail set into the wall? my friend has the same problem and his is.

PU (polyurethane glue) is strong and will bond wood to brick. it will expand in damp conditions to fill the gap, so use some kind of prop to hold the handrail in place while it sets.
try and get rid of the dust in the hole first though.

i wouldn;t recommend the above if trying to bond to a plaster face. you'll need to drill through at a very steep angle (this would be best achieved if you can remove the handrail and drill from the other side), then rawlplug iti with a long screw.

another alternative if you can remove the handrail is to dowel it to the wall. use PU glue or similar to fix the dowel into the brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back