Loose Bath Handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I renovated my bathroom last year and fitted a new bathroom suite. I remember when fitting the bath handles that I lifted the bath with them and they immediately came loose. They are the type where a stud goes through and then the handles have a tiny allen key bolt so you can fix them on from the front. I refitted them and did them up as much as I dared without damaging the bath and they seemed fine. Now less than a year later one of the handles is loose and I'm worried water could leak behind the bath. This is the handle at the side of the bath against the wall and other than cutting a huge hole in my living room wall (or the floor below the bath) I can see no way of trying to sort this out.

I'm pretty sure I could get the stud out from this side, cutting it if necessary. So does anyone know of handles that can be fitted from this side of the bath? Or even a cap insert that I can put in place of the handles. Infact does anyone know of any solution without something as drastic as cutting holes in the wall?

The bath is made by ROCA.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar issue with mine, that I wasn't able to solve.
I was left with 2 holes in the bath, on the blind side next to the wall.
The only thing I could do was to get some rubber grommets (plug type) from Halfords (making sure they were a tight fit), applying a smear of silicone in the groove and painting them white afterwards. Not the best but they don't leak and its all I could think of!
John :)

ok thanks i'll see if I can source some white grommets in the correct size. If not I may have to make a hole in the floor beneath the bath big enough to get my arm through! I called Roca and they dont do grommits.

Sponsored Links
I found a workaround. I removed the handle and was able to tighten one of the studs from this side using vice grips. The other just turned so I drilled a small hole through the bath next to the stud and stopped the bolt turning while I used the vice grips to tighten. I also removed the rubber seals that came with the handles because they go out of line when the bolt gets tight. Used silicon around the washers and to fill the small hole which is not visible with the handle on. Hopefully it'll stay tight now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back