Bath needs grab handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bath has no grab handles. It's quite a deep bath, and my wife (elderly arthritis sufferer) has difficulty getting out of it. I thought of suction handles, but wouldn't trust them.
Proposal: fit one handle on the wall (drill through tiles to a wall stud) -- not too much of a problem -- and another by drilling a couple of holes in the bath on the edge where it turns over. But the bath is good quality plastic (glass fibre?) and I'm worried about the holes not drilling cleanly, and perhaps ruining the bath.
Any views/tips please? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I can't see why drilling the bath would be a particular problem. Depending on the type of handle you use the holes would normally be covered by the handle itself. If you're worried about the drill wandering as you start the holes then run some masking tape over the area first so the drill doesn't wander. Also start small and open the hole up to the required size gradually.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all. I'm only planning a smallish handle for the bath, like those that are standard fit on many baths, with a beefier one on the wall. Very useful link from Bosswhite - thanks.

do you have enough room between the front panel and the bath underside to resin in/foaming glue in a bit off say 2x2"[44x44mm] timber perhaps 1200mm long to give support??

As Big All says even fitting small handles to an acrylic bath will require reinforcement of a timber batten to give support.

As long as there is a wide bar outside bath that should be OK.

I have another problem which someone might be able to help me with.

I have a Twyford bath recessed and drilled for two grab rails.

But I need the two grab rails should anyone be removing a bath with them!

Acrylic baths have the structural integrity of my foreskin.

I would not trust the health of my beloved to a flimsy handle attached to one.

Although after the barrage of daft questions I got when cornered in my bath this evening, the idea is tempting. Different rules for her of course :mrgreen: ;)

Have you seen the toilet with wash basin above emptying into the cistern?

Saves water and reminds you to wash your hands!

Are they Japanese?

It was in a Japanese lady's house!

Yes. Used in the cities where space is at a premium.

Great idea.

Bung a bleach block in the cistern. Then when you use the karzy, you wash your hands in the water that is filling the cistern. Saves the space needed for a separate basin in a space that makes a typical London bedsit look spacious.

Would happily have one in our downstairs wc if I could get one here reasonably. Of course I don't need one; the basin is already there, but the Japanese mums would love the taste of home when they visit (the less affluent ones anyway :p ).

This is very old technology though. Makes all the European ideas on efficiency look laughable really.

It was the first one I had seen and I thought it was a great idea.

But I could not think of anything Japanese about the design so thought it was British and just not seen one before!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back