Grab adhesive failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About seven years ago I needed to put up some large heavy curtains to cover a pair of french doors. Knowing that I would have difficulty drilling int the concrete lintel I decided to fit a long wooden batten above the opening and screw the curtain pole to that. I fixed the batten to the wall using a grab adhesive (can't remember which one but not a DIY own brand) and two 2½" No 8 screws into the wall with rawplugs.

The curtain has stayed up since then until, a few nights a go my wife pointed out that the rail seemed to have come away from the wall in the middle. Closer inspection revelaed that the whole batten had become unstuck and that the two screws were pulling free from the wall. Needles to say we quickly removed the curtains and to day I took the pole and batten down.

The really curious thing is that the grab adhesive is still firmly attached to the wood but there is very little attached to the wall (dry lining plasterboard).

I've now got to put up another batten and don't want the same thing to happen again.

Do grab adhesives fail in this way?

If they do, is there an alternative way of fixing the batten to the wall?

Someone has suggested a hammer drill but warned that they will not form neat holes in the concrete lintel. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
extend the board beyond the lintel and 3 or 4 fixings each end or as said sds

maybe when you 1st stuck it,the wall might have been a tad dusty in places?

yes a good sds will deal with the lintol no probs.
im surprised you dont own 1 already m8?

if your near me i can lend you a cordless version.

Sponsored Links
maybe when you 1st stuck it,the wall might have been a tad dusty in places?
That's a possibility - but It was seven years ago!

yes a good sds will deal with the lintol no probs.
im surprised you dont own 1 already m8?
The only electric drill I own is a 50 year old Stanley 2-speed! My son has an SDS but he lives 60 miles away.

if your near me i can lend you a cordless version.
That's very generous of you. My username tells you where I live. Is that anywhere near you?

If you glue to plasterboard you are only fixing to several layer of cardboard which will eventually fail with weight on it.
Beg or borrow the sds.

you dont live in sin city do you. :LOL:

im just down the road from you in sunny eastbourne.:cool:

you dont live in sin city do you. :LOL:

im just down the road from you in sunny eastbourne.:cool:
No more sin than in Croydon, where I used to live, and probably a lot less. :eek:

As for the drill, my next door neighbour has offered to lend me his, so I won't be taking up your kind offer. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back