Ohhhh my aching drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just spent two days trying to put curtain poles up, and blind hooks, in my new house. However, having gone through two drill bits all ready, and going and buying a new massive powerdrill, I'm still no more than about 1cm deep.

I thought the lintel would be concrete and was prepared for a battle, but having had one drill bit stripped of its thread and come out glowing bright red, I'm starting to think that it may be steel.

Any suggestions for how to get through the lintel? The house itself is a former council house, built in the 20's, of the kind that you see all over the south. I cant be alone in having a house with impenetrable lintels.

Alternatively, any suggestions for providers of lintel-happy curtain poles and fixings ?

S

Sponsored Links
steel drill bit if it is steel

(look for tiny bits of metal magnetised to the drill bit when its not glowing red)

Thanks.

What about if its some kind of tough concrete ? My standard masonary bits dont seem to be touching it.

S

if its a concrete lintel and its old the concrete will be even harder. You really need an sds drill to do it. you can pick up el cheapo ones for about £30

Sponsored Links
yep or hire 1 and get it

lintels are a little unforgiving and come with steel reinforcing bars so if you lose the head of the drill most likely you hit a bar (move your hole :)

if your drilling into a steel lintel you would know by the sound and the fact nothings moving

Dewalt extreme 2 bits will drill through steel as well as concrete. I think this is becoming a bit of a bug bear of mine, how many DIY'ers buy the biggest swankiest drill they can get, then put cr@ppy drill bits in them and expect it to all be hunky dory. Like a steel joist is going to be impressed with your mighty hammer action !!

Top tip for DIY'ers when you spend a fortune on your new drill, chuck all your old drill bits away and buy some decent new ones, not from a shed.

Alternatively don't even buy a new drill, just buy new decent drill bits.

Rant over, as you were. :D

Yes, like those, just remember to buy the SDS version of those if you buy an SDS drill.

Just had a look at that link, it says
Product Details: Excellent quality, carbide grade Drill Bits for efficient drilling on all types of masonry work, including brick, stones, tiles and light concrete

Doesnt mention steel ?

Was just wondering, I got some of them there Irwine ones off gcol on here and are decent, I imagine these ones are the same idea? Wonder why the above link doesnt advertise they are sutable for steel.

eggplant said:
Was just wondering, I got some of them there Irwine ones off gcol on here and are decent, I imagine these ones are the same idea? Wonder why the above link doesnt advertise they are sutable for steel.

I seriously doubt that the extreme 2's are purposely designed to drill through a steel lintel, however I've seen ad's that suggest the steel re-inforced concrete lintels pose no problem.

It is of course difficult to say exactly what you have drilled through unless you dissect the wall, suffice to say that with a decent drill and extreme 2 bits, nothing has so far withstood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back