A Loose Bath Tap handle - Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am experiencing a problem with my hot water tap on my bath and would really appreciate some guidance please.

I have a Bath filler unit with the hot and cold molded into one Chrome tap unit.

The Handle on the Hot water tap is loose and I dont know how to tighten it. If I take out the plastic plug filling the hole that gives you access to the inside of the handle, all I can see is what looks like a circular hole. I initially thought it was an alan key hole but its not. I need to tighten the handle as I think this might be a cause of a slight leak I have when it is splashed, I appear to get a small drip running down the hot water pipe under the bath.

Under the handle is a chrome umbrella shaped unit that does unscrew revealing a thred with a nut above the thread. However, its really hard to get to without removing the tap handle. But I am not sure what tool I need to tighten the handle or indeed remove it you check if the nut is tight.

I would really appreciate some help here, as you can see I am no plumber by any means.

Look forward to your help guys

Thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links
I have a Bath filler unit with the hot and cold molded into one Chrome tap unit.
Deck mixer?

The Handle on the Hot water tap is loose and I dont know how to tighten it. If I take out the plastic plug filling the hole that gives you access to the inside of the handle, all I can see is what looks like a circular hole. I initially thought it was an alan key hole but its not.
Ooh, I bet it is. But if it isn't, then it will be a slotted grub screw. A torch should pay dividends.

I need to tighten the handle as I think this might be a cause of a slight leak I have when it is splashed
A loose handle cannot cause a leak.

I appear to get a small drip running down the hot water pipe under the bath.
Well, either you have a leaking tap connector, or the splashed water is running under the tap body and going through the hole in the bath.

Under the handle is a chrome umbrella shaped unit that does unscrew revealing a thred with a nut above the thread. However, its really hard to get to without removing the tap handle.
Hm. This is beginning to sound like a single handle mixer tap. Do you have a make/model, or web site URL, or a photo?

But I am not sure what tool I need to tighten the handle or indeed remove it you check if the nut is tight.
An Allen key or a small slotted screwdriver.

Photo! Photo! Photo! :D

One of these days the camera is actually gonna catch you in the act of scratching your crotch, kev. :D

Sponsored Links
Softus

Thanks for your reply

OK Update on Tap. I did some thery teating yesterday on this and if I pour water on the base of the bath where the tap unit meets the bath then there is no leak.

However, if i pour the water onto the hot water handle, that is loose, it does run down the pipe below the bath. I dont know if this helps. What I also noticed yesterday is that the hot water pipe below the bath there is a very very small bit of movement, ie I can move pipe side to side mi-nutely.

The tap unit is very similar to the following but below the actual handle is a piece of chrome that you can turn which provides access to the actual thread

http://www.taps4less.com/PP/Q-PH343L-PH371.html

Hope you may be able to assist Softus

Cheers

However, if i pour the water onto the hot water handle, that is loose, it does run down the pipe below the bath.
Well that's got me flummoxed. I'm still of the opinion that it's either a leaking tap connector or a gap between desk and tap, but I have no explanation that fits the result of your experiment.

I dont know if this helps. What I also noticed yesterday is that the hot water pipe below the bath there is a very very small bit of movement, ie I can move pipe side to side mi-nutely.
Well that's the case for any section of unclipped pipework, so what risk or problem do you think this movement creates?

The tap unit is very similar to the following but below the actual handle is a piece of chrome that you can turn which provides access to the actual thread
I'm sorry, I must be tired - I can't make any sense out of what you've written there.

Unless (second thoughts) you mean a shroud like in this image:

View media item 198
Well, biffal, do you? :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back