Loose bricks after chimney removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m just looking for some straight answers.

so we removed a chimney stack, there wasn’t one on the roof(it had already been taken away before we moved in)

now I went into the attic yesterday and there seems to be an issue, there was about 10 or 15 bricks that were loose on the right side of the stack that we removed, so to save them collapsing, I pulled them off, probably not my smartest move but I thought better than them collapsing in the future.

now, a few questions I have.

1: is it still safe?
2: why are the breeze blocks underneath the bricks that came off yesterday a wee bit wobbly.
3: what can I do to make it safe?
4: should I be worried about my house falling down?

honest answers only.

thanks all.

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 5F5FCFA2-A201-406C-9895-306742200F1F.jpeg
    5F5FCFA2-A201-406C-9895-306742200F1F.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 60B7298F-C394-46C0-B61C-9D8D0D53CBC7.jpeg
    60B7298F-C394-46C0-B61C-9D8D0D53CBC7.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 94
  • D52EEDE0-6B65-4D39-A336-F17204861338.jpeg
    D52EEDE0-6B65-4D39-A336-F17204861338.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 98
The blocks are a roof support and unless you removed something below them, they're fine.
If they're wobbly they could be fixed, even a good repoint will give them more stability, even though relaying them is not difficult.
Rule of thumb when you remove bricks/blocks: start from the top and work your way down.
Also check for lateral support of what you're removing, something jammed in the brickwork, you never know what previous bodgers have done.
When i was a boy, i was labouring for my father's friend and removing a stack i came across a long piece of timber in the brickwork: happened to be the central mast splitting the loft joists span.
Likely i didn't carry on :whistle:

Sponsored Links
The blocks are a roof support and unless you removed something below them, they're fine.
If they're wobbly they could be fixed, even a good repoint will give them more stability, even though relaying them is not difficult.
Rule of thumb when you remove bricks/blocks: start from the top and work your way down.
Also check for lateral support of what you're removing, something jammed in the brickwork, you never know what previous bodgers have done.
When i was a boy, i was labouring for my father's friend and removing a stack i came across a long piece of timber in the brickwork: happened to be the central mast splitting the loft joists span.
Likely i didn't carry on :whistle:
Thank you, by repointing, you mean put cement back in them yeah?

as you might have guessed, I’m not very good at DIY and all the terms that go with it.

I can ask my dad so that for me if so, that big joist running into the outside wall, that’ll be fine because it’s tied into that yeah?

thanks for your reply

IF it goes all the way into the wall, which I doubt, you could simply prop the timber and re-do that block support.
Otherwise, rake an inch and half of mortar from the joints and replace with fresh one.
Not before having properly hoovered the all thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back