Loose bricks revealed under plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this forum and any help would be appreciated.

I moved into my first home over 4 months ago. It has had some damp issues which we were aware of prior to moving. As the summer has come and dry weather has started I have started to tackle the damp problem. I am currently in the process of chipping off plaster to dry out the walls and then board it with kingspan.

On some areas the cement between the bricks is like sawdust so it will need repointing to. Upon chipping off the plaster there is a small area where the bricks are very loose and easily removed as seen in the picture. To the left of the images there is a doorway and to the right a window.

What would be the best way to tackle this problem?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-07-04 at 00.08.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-07-04 at 00.08.24.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 744
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-07-04 at 00.08.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-07-04 at 00.08.37.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 911
Sponsored Links
Just pack loads of mortar (1:6) between the bricks. Don't try taking them out to re-set them as you won't know where to stop and will end up taking the whole house down.

Those bricks will certainly need to come out and be relaid.

Only repoint if there is a bit of a gap in joint, not no joint at all!

Sponsored Links
Just pack loads of mortar (1:6) between the bricks. Don't try taking them out to re-set them as you won't know where to stop and will end up taking the whole house down.
Is that the voice of experience talking? At least you can get zero vat on a new build:D

Those bricks will certainly need to come out and be relaid.

Only repoint if there is a bit of a gap in joint, not no joint at all!

The second later of bricks look sold. Is it safe to remove one at a time and relay them without compromising then wall?

If that's the worst area I would rake and hoover all the loose stuff out, buy a mortar grout gun (Screwfix or Toolstation) and squirt a weak mix of mortar in. You could rebuild but, if its a "solid" wall, you may disturb any header bricks (that are laid front to back). If the rest of the wall is in anywhere near as poor condition you may wish to consider some remedial work - waterproof render etc before sticking celotex on it.

@op; Woody and I often disagree on matters.
So as he's been on this forum far longer than myself, by all means follow his advice, and report back here on the next step once you find you've taken out half the front wall of the house.
With crumbly bricks in soft lime mortar there's often no knowing when/where to stop.

Some of those bricks look like can just be lifted off as they are just laying loose in the wall. It would be easier to lift them out and relay them back in the wall and make a better job of it. Some of the other bits can just be repointed.

Old houses can be scary at times...... was the plaster (before you chopped it off) cracked or flattish and (apart from damp) a reasonable surface?
If the plaster was flattish and reasonable then the wall has been stable over the years, don't get too worked up about it. As someone said above, get a mortar gun (actually get a gun kit from Helifix, much much better than the mortar guns from Toolstation etc), rake and hoover the really loose rubbish out and repoint as best you can. Wall finish- if you can spare the room space you could dot and dab Hardiebacker or similar to the wall (go heavy on the dots.....) to stiffen the wall up, then Gripfill the insulation to the Hardiebacker, them Gripfill plasterboard on top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back