loose crappy flue pipe installed by a cowboy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, after a bit of advice,

I have a chaffetaux maury combi boiler with a horizontal flue that extends approx 3metres through the ceiling to outside, I have been installing loft insulation and found that the only thing fixing the pipe in places is the cowl outside, the whole assembly is unsupported, needless to say whilst i was wielding the insulation about it got knocked and the gaffa tape that was round it came loose and it started to drip water, obviously rain thats blown in.

My questions are should it have an element of fall to stop water collecting in or does it not matter?

Would it be best to dismantle it all and re-assemble using bracketry making sure all fittings were home etc,

And finally i noticed that the connector on the boiler had no gasket/seal between the top and the pipe( the whole thing lifted up when I wasn't looking!)

Any advice would be great, I do worry about escaping flue gasses and don't really understand why the pipe is twin walled ( stainless inner and white outer??)

Sponsored Links
Hello all, after a bit of advice,

I have a chaffetaux maury combi boiler with a horizontal flue that extends approx 3metres through the ceiling to outside

Huh? horizontally through the ceiling?

don't really understand why the pipe is twin walled ( stainless inner and white outer??)

One to allow air in, one to allow gases out

sorry I should be more clear, horizontally through the ceiling void!

Anyway here are some crummy pics.

I know its a shoddy install but I have been blessed with this house :confused:

Sponsored Links

I took it to mean that the flue rises from the boiler, through the plaster, then does a 90 degree turn before reaching the floorboards above, running between the joists until it passes through the wall. I may be totally wrong though.

The gaffer tape and flue pulling out of the boiler sound dangerous and made me think of a house full of corpses.

I took it to mean that the flue rises from the boiler, through the plaster, then does a 90 degree turn before reaching the floorboards above, running between the joists until it passes through the wall. I may be totally wrong though.

The gaffer tape and flue pulling out of the boiler sound dangerous and made me think of a house full of corpses.

Oh.

Shrunk in the wash... but they demonstrate a self levetating concentric flue.

Call a CORGI (what will we call ourselves after April?) and see if he can re run the flue with proper connections and support.

[edit]

saw your larger versions - that looks poor. I have seen that tape before but only on telescopic flues like the Suprima's.

Still wouldn't want that in a void in my house without a second opinion.

if you click on my profile they are in the album, apologies.

Yes it is a true masterpiece, it has been installed for approx 3 years, guess I'm lucky!

I had to cut my own loft hatch too as some numbnut platerboarded the whole lot with no access!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back