Loose neutral

the green stuff would still run down the sleeving.

I guess you could leave some copper showing out the terminal to give the green stuff chance to leak out before going into the socket.
Not normal recommended practice! but good in this case

Sponsored Links
the whole house might not have it. For example, I found it in the 1.5mm lighting circuit of an extension, but 2.5mm (obviously from a different batch, but installed about the same time) was fine. The electrician might have had one bad reel, or lots of them, and some work may have been done at different times. IRC the affected cable was made in the early 1970's

If the goo runs down into switches it is liable to cause malfuncton. I suppose if the cable entered the enclosure from underneath, the goo might not reach the accessory.

View media item 1632
View media item 1631
View media item 1630

Sponsored Links
Just to confuse things....

Before I replace this socket, we were considering getting another socket added. This one I believe (will confirm before doing anything) is a spur from the ring main. I understand you can only spur once off a ring socket and you can't spur off a spur. There aren't really any other nearby sockets to spur from either.

I was however reading about how you can (allegedly) spur off into an fcu, after which you can add more spurs/sockets as a radial. So, I'd replace this socket with a 13a fcu, then run (2.5?) cable to a socket, then 2.5 to another socket. It'd restrict the load on both sockets to 13a/3kw, but we don't exceed that as it is. Is this allowed?
Must also be RCD protected......Extending a circuit requires a minor works cert as well which means testing is required......Why has nobody mentioned this?

Using similar statements, it is possible to argue that *all* DIY electrics are illegal. However it is clear that the government did not intend this to be the case. I would suggest that trolling a DIY forum is very unlikely to increase your turnover as an electrician, however much you wish it would.

Appendix 15 (Informative) states, "An unfused spur should feed one single or one twin socket outlet only."
also;
"The number of socket outlets supplied from a fused connection unit is dependant upon the load characteristics, having taken diversity into account."

Although it doesn't state you can't have more spurs than ring sockets it seems a good principle to work to in my opinion. In fact I would rather have no more spurs than half the ring sockets. It would be better practice to install a separate radial circuit if you were having so many spurs.

Using similar statements, it is possible to argue that *all* DIY electrics are illegal. However it is clear that the government did not intend this to be the case. I would suggest that trolling a DIY forum is very unlikely to increase your turnover as an electrician, however much you wish it would.
Balls to the regs then in your opinion......can't see you getting much work with that attitude

Appendix 15 (Informative) states, "An unfused spur should feed one single or one twin socket outlet only."
also;
"The number of socket outlets supplied from a fused connection unit is dependant upon the load characteristics, having taken diversity into account."
Don't forget that that is similar to things in the OSG and rather pointless.
Circuits can be designed properly.

Although it doesn't state you can't have more spurs than ring sockets it seems a good principle to work to in my opinion. In fact I would rather have no more spurs than half the ring sockets. It would be better practice to install a separate radial circuit if you were having so many spurs.
Some bungalows have NO sockets on the ring; they are all spurs.

It is. No more than one spur off a socket and no more spurs than sockets.

Wrong. There are no such rules in the current regs. There was a rule many moons ago about no more spurs than sockets, but not any more.

Wrong. There are no such rules in the current regs. There was a rule many moons ago about no more spurs than sockets, but not any more.

If you take the time to read my post further up, instead of jumping in with both feet first, you will see I covered that in my response.

You thought wrong.
I would personally consider it bad practice.
In fact, I consider ring finals bad practice too: radials are miles better in several respects.
And while we're on the subject, 3036's come under that umbrella too.

I would personally consider it [more than one spur of a socket on a ring final] bad practice. In fact, I consider ring finals bad practice too: radials are miles better in several respects.
At least that's a consistent viewpoint.

What I don't understand is those who feel that it is a no-no, yet are happy with single spurs from sockets only inches apart on a ring (or, indeed, simply two or more sockets very close on a ring without any spurs). Provided only that the socket's terminal will accommodate the required number of conductors, I see no material (electrical) difference.

Kind
Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back