Loose render on steel beams and small cracks on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
  1. Hi folks.
    I would really appreciate some advice on the following problem from the 'pros' out there.
    I live in a 1970's top floor flat. I think the construction of the 6 story building was steel beams filled in with bricks to form the walls and a flat roof.
    On nearly all the walls near the ceilings the cement render on the beams in the rooms is quite loose and small cracks are apparent where the steel beams meet the brickwork.
    Should I hack off the loose internal render back to the steel beam - fix some foil backed plasterboard onto the beams somehow and let the plasterboard span the small cracks as well to then have the plasterboard plastered?
    If this is a good method to use how would I 'stick' the foil backed plasterboard to the steel?
    Is there a better 'workround' than the one I am suggesting?
    Many thanks for any ideas/opinions you may all have .

Regads,

Jon

Sponsored Links
First of all I would hack the render off the beams (How is the render fixed to the beams) you might find that there is some expanding metal fixed on wood inbetween the H part of the girder, As I would think the girders would be lying on there flat sides if you can imagine the H on its side. So knock the render off around the top of the ceiling and down enough so we can see what the construction is. And then post some pictures up so we can get an idea of how its built.

Thanks Roy for your swift reply. On further investigation I can see that the construction is different to what I thought. I don't think that steel beams are present , I am fairly sure it is simply reinforced concrete horizontal 'beams' - all I can reveal is a flat hard surface on which render had been applied but that render has become a little powdery. If this is the case could render just be reapplied directly onto the concrete after painting on some pva?

Yes but not with pva, if it is flat concrete you would need to scutch it up a bit to give the render a key. Or you could make up a slurry with SBR with some cement and paint that over it before rendering. You would have to put some Stainless mesh over the joint where the concrete meets the brick or block wall. This will stop it cracking along the join. Like I say if you can get some pics up we would have a better idea of the construction..

Sponsored Links
That sounds like an excellent solution - thanks. However , I will put up some pics tomorrow.

Just click my "Thanks" button please..I have been stuck on 347 for bloody months..;)

Attached are two pictures - one before I hacked off the loose render and one after the stuff was hacked off. In terms of actually getting the work done ...will the plasterer do cement rendering or is that another trade. Alternatively , could a plasterer just use bonding or something similar together with the steel mesh to bridge the cracks and then use finish plaster after? Also, there are very narrow small cracks in the concrete ceilings that my neighbours say reappear every few years. The render on the ceiling seems ok. Should I just fill and sand those? I have clicked the 'like' button Roy but it still shows 347 'likes' on your profile :(
20150925_084358.jpg
20150925_091752.jpg

No probs with the "Like" button I was only jokin',, If you tap the render on the walls does it sound hollow? I did a job like yours a few years ago and the render and plaster came off in sheets. That was old sand and lime render and skimmed over, it came off because when the plasterers did it years ago they must of just soaked the walls with water first (which was the right thing to do) before laying the muck on the walls. But I don't think the walls were drenched enough to kill the suction and over the years it just pulled away from the brick work. I don't know if yours is that bad but I think that it may of dried out too quickly and that is why you have got these problems. If you look at the horizontal cracks they tend to follow the coarse's between the bricks, and it looks like the mortar between the bricks has shrunk back and is causing the cracks. The wall looks quite dry so if the render comes off easy (Try putting a scrapper under it) and see if it comes off, If that is the case then take the whole lot off (Or let who ever is going to do the job take it off), Then you have the options of either sand cement lime , Bonding or dot and dab then skim. Have a look in my Albums for "Dabbing Walls" and that will show you how I sorted out the problem with the walls. If you have a plasterer in mind (make sure he comes from a person who has recommended him or ask to see his work) then he should know what to do to help you out. As for the little cracks on the ceiling then it might be better to get it papered and painted,,, If you fill them then it might open up and close again depending on the humidity at that time. Let us know what you think and I hope this has helped you a bit...PS,its the "Thanks" button.

Mod's,,,, How come royc's "thanks total" doesn't change from 347, even though i have added to that total?

Cheers mucka trying to get to 350 got you up to 550 we will soon catch joe up eh? ;)

Cheers Roy, that's a pint i owe you,,, :)) Look out joey boy coz here we come,,, lol

Thanks Roy for your considered response - VERY helpful and your options to repair seem excellent. I will get a plasterer around who I have used before and see which option of those you have outlined he favours. I will let you know in the next few weeks how it goes. Once again , thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back