Loose rust inside new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help. I've just bought a couple of radiators from The Radiator Company. Whilst turning one of them upside down whilst hanging (to check location of diverter), heard lots of loose material sliding around inside the tubes. Took out rubber bungs, repeatedly tipped the radiator, and about a quarter of an egg cup of loose rust came out. Bizarre, as it's a new, made-to-order rad. Tried to flush out (using garden hose) and a fair amount of red/brown-coloured water and solids came out over the course of about 30 mins effort.

Bottom line is that I'm desperate to hang the thing and finish the room (we've had building work and kitchen-fitting going on for about a year now!) but don't want any future central heating problems (we've just put in a Worcester combi...). Is any residual crud going to be an issue, or should I just go ahead and install the thing (with plenty of inhibitor)? The Radiator Company (via our plumbers merchants) have said 'it shouldn't be a problem, but if it does lead to a problem in 2/3 years time, we'll deal with it then' [the paperwork states that there's a 28 day notification period (RE: 'scratched or damaged radiator')]. Is this radiator OK, or do I need to do something about it?

Sponsored Links
Worrying

Ive got a brand new k.rad here fitting saturday, if you can hang on i will let you know if any rust comes out. I wouldnt expect any. Cant hearany rattling when moving it.

It begs the question, if you cant remove the offending material, then under normal operating conditions it will probably stay put in the rad.
Having said that, I would certainly seek assurance from the makers that this will not be a problem in years to come(preferably in writing).
I have known swarf material left in a system with incorrect levels of inhibitor to cause premature failure of the rad.

Sponsored Links
Only had that when customer brought a towel rail from screwfix, it had a couple of marks on, it had been used and returned by another person.
all they done is repackaged it and sent it back out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back