Loose seat on close coupled toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into new house recently and have been bugged by the loose loo seat. It is a close coupled Twyford thing, and has no easy means to reach the underside of the seat fixings in the base.

As far as I can tell there is nothing to adjust on the hinges, and the seat does not come off by pulling it upwards. Is it likely that the only solution is to remove the cistern to be able to tighten it?

Couple of pics of the offender (third one shows hinge after removing lid)

Sponsored Links
How did you get the seat off?
Usually if there is no access to underneath the hinges are top fix they work rather like a rawbolt expanding in the hole from above, but I had one a couple of years back supplied with normal wing nut fixings. Because I twigged it in time I was able to get the right ones, but a busy plumber may have thought S** it and put it in anyway.

Try VERY gently prising the chrome disc away to avoid damage to the ceramic, you may find a way of tightening up underneath.
Google top fix toilet seat hinges to see what I mean.

How did you get the seat off?

Try VERY gently prising the chrome disc away to avoid damage to the ceramic, you may find a way of tightening up underneath.
Google top fix toilet seat hinges to see what I mean.
I haven't got the seat off, that's the problem! The lid I could remove because the chrome parts are loose enough that they slide from side to side enabling the lid to be released, but that doesn't seem to help me in any other way.

I'll try lifting the chrome disc up later, but when pulling the whole lot up it doesn't come away.

Sponsored Links
Lifting that cover will reveal a recessed screw. Never seen one but I bet you need to tighten that to expand a plug.

A quick Google.... yes, I was right: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pair-nabi...s_Toilet_Seats_PP&hash=item41783239d0[/QUOTE]
I hope that's how it is, but am not sure the chrome parts are 'covers' as in the eBay link. Also, the hinge posts are right in the centre of the chrome discs on mine so may not be quite the same. Fingers are crossed nonetheless, will give it a go later.

Thanks for the replies btw.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
So the chrome covers do not appear to come off, despite having a nylon part beneath them. Upon rotation the fitting does tighten, however it is quite difficult to tighten it very much as there is nothing to really get a purchase on.

The threads are now visible at the bottom of the centre posts, I don't know if this implies that there is another hidden nut underneath that cannot be accessed without dismantling it all...

OK just guessing here but perhaps the covers do come off but are horribly tight, then the nylon piece underneath is in fact the nut which tightens and then the cover is clipped on, as the thread seems to pass through it

It looks a lot like the ones in that link. Oh well, it's snug enough for now, and if it's the same as those then there is a few years of tightening available before the nut drops off the end of the thread!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back