loose shower waste outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shower base unit bought from Wickes in early 2012 along with the matching waste outlet. I now find that the waste outlet is loose. Trying to tighten it up from above causes it to behave as if it is jumping the thread (ie it starts to tighten but then goes loose again), but there is no obvious sign of wear on the thread. There is no access to under the shower.
Does anyone have any ideas about how to get the waste outlet tight.?

Sponsored Links
I picked up a cheap waste system from Wickes when I was in a spot, and had the same issue. I believe I used another (slightly longer) screw.

Unfortunately it was a random pick from a box of of spares, but I recall it being only slightly longer than the pack screw.

For obvious reasons, avoid using a wider screw - those plastic connections will just crack right open.

Sponsored Links
Ah, we seem to be talking at cross purposes, there is no metal screw involved.

The inner plastic unit has an external screw thread which engages with a corresponding thread on the inside of the plastic trap. Naturally there is no easy way of getting access to the trap so as to replace both.

So does anyone know if there is any way of getting these threads to engage more tightly?

Also the thread inside the trap runs further down than the inside bit reaches, so does anyone know of an inner unit which will be longer and so have a chance of engaging with the unused thread?

Thanks in advance.

Just for information.

I ended up buying a new waste outlet and trap from plumbcenter. I just used the new inner waste bit with the existing trap, and also used the new seals.
The new inner engaged properly with the threads in the existing trap (unlike the old inner), sufficient to tighten it up to the required "finger tight plus a quarter turn". So all is well now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back