Shower waste positioned next to shower door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The shower tray needs to fit in a three-sided recess that is 900 x 760 in size - see attached picture. It seems logical to place the waste at the front for access (where the rubber seal is), but the thing that slightly concerns me is whether it is a bad idea do you have it on the same side as the door? I am thinking here along the lines of foot traffic and where the weakest point of the tray is. The shower door will be a pivot and it will open from the right hand side i.e. furthest point from the waste outlet. Therefore, I imagine foot traffic won’t be a problem?
If I purchase a tray with the waste on the opposite side though (where the waste unit has been placed), then access will be a pain as it will be difficult to reach and there will be pipework in front of it, further restricting access (see copper pipes in the picture).
My preference would certainly be to have the trap at the front, if it is not going to cause me any major problems. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• F1633D2B-9345-4272-B023-54094938733F.jpeg
    F1633D2B-9345-4272-B023-54094938733F.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
Plastic tray might be an issue, if you use a stone resin tray, fully supported and make sure the waste is actually flush with the tray (no bits sticking up above tray height) you'll be fine

Plastic tray might be an issue, if you use a stone resin tray, fully supported and make sure the waste is actually flush with the tray (no bits sticking up above tray height) you'll be fine

Thanks for responding so quickly as I have ordered a tray and need to cancel super-quick, if having the trap next to the door is a problem!

The tray is a good quality stone resin model.

When you mention no bits sticking up above tray height, do you mean the surface of the tray that you stand on, or the edge of the tray on which the door sits? The trap dome does sit proud of the service that you stand on, as is common with most trays and they are not designed to be walked on. I have attached a picture of the actual tray, which is a Merlyn MStone model. It doesn’t look like the dome is above the tray edge though, if that is what you mean?

Attachments

• A89FB480-5BD6-4D18-9883-6F92A051FF89.jpeg
    A89FB480-5BD6-4D18-9883-6F92A051FF89.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Try and get a waste that's flush with the walking surface of the tray- not so you can walk on it (always a bad idea) but so crud doesn't accumulate round it.
If the waste sat at edge of tray height you'd have all sorts of problems :)
Long as you bed that stone tray properly you'll be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back