Which side to locate shower waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create a hassle free shower room as have previously had a lot of leaks. The shower is located in a 3 wall alcove. Approx 800 x 800 square

The current shower tray has a waste trap below floor level; there is a hole in the floor. However, the waste has leaked over years and caused a hole in the ceiling to the flat below. This is handy for repairing the leak using access from flat below, but this cannot go on. So I will be raising the shower tray so all the waste trap in future is accessible from my flat.

In case there is ever a leak (again) from the waste or it gets blocked, is it a good idea to have the waste on the same side as the pivot door, close to the clip on panel so the plumber can get easy access. Or will that look strange to have to walk into the shower over the waste. Previous waste was on right side, but the pipe work will need to be changed anyway si it doesn't have to be the same.

The pipe will eventually have to go to right side of the shower tray, turn right to then run along the wall into the soil stack

Also I'm not sure whether to get upstand to 3 or 4 sides of tray

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Put it where is easiest to access, although I'd look for an accessible shower waste, the type where the dip tube that forms the water seal can be removed allowing easy access to the outlet pipework. Provided the waste is sealed correctly, and the pipework done correctly in solvent weld, the chances of a leak should be virtually nil, unless the waste is damaged at any point.

+1 and keep an eye on the waste and pipe for a few days after the installation!
I'd support all sides of the tray, just leave a piece out so you can access the waste.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Would you consider a stone resin tray, lifted up on its own timber plinth?
So much better than a leg kit, I find, and plastic trays aren't really that good if that's what you have. If you keep the plinth just slightly smaller than the tray, it can be covered with laminate, PVC or something else.
Just a thought!

Hi John
I will be getting a new stone resin sturdy tray as you suggest.

I don't know what the current tray has underneath; I've only seen underneath the tray looking up a hole from the flat below!

The reason i was thinking about using riser kit is because the panel clips onto the legs like a kitchen plinth and will be so easy to do (even just to check there are no leaks for peace of mind whenever I want to) without 'damaging' the fixings of the front panel. (Some I have seen are silicone sealed and I dont want to have to break and redo a seal)

Who ever does the job will probably have their own way of doing things, but I like to think these things through so at least I have some idea how it could be done.

Sure, the riser kit is the easy way to do it, but the last thing you want is for the tray to move at all.....thats why I use a timber frame beneath. I find that 3" x 2" is just fine for access.
A stone resin tray needs a completely flat surface for it to rest on......3/4" ply is fine and I cushion the thing with a bead of silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back