Shower tray waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building a bathroom and the builder wants to place the rectangular shower tray so that the waste is on the same side the shower tap. Looking at my other two bathrooms, the waste is at the complete opposite side to where the shower tap is. Is there a reason for the waste to be in a particular position with respect to the shower mixer?

Sponsored Links
No, with the shower tray level it wont matter where the waste outlet is.

More important is setting the waste so you don't have to hack big chunks out of the joists to get the waste pipe to the stack. Long as the tray is level (on the edges) then it'll drain into the waste (the bit you stand on will have a slight fall towards the waste hole)

The shower tray sits on a concrete floor. The builder wants to turn the tray and place the waste nearest to the wall so there is less distance to the outside, but that is where the mixer tap is. I have two other shower trays at home, and the waste is at the opposite side of the mixer tap and not near any wall. And so it is at another house I just remembered now. I am trying to find a justification because I instinctively want it away from the mixer tap but I need to convince the builder.

Sponsored Links
Your builder is being sensible. If that's an outside wall then he might even set it up so if you get a major problem with the waste trap it can be extracted without having to lift the tray. From a usability perspective (yours) it'll make no difference to the showering experience

I am trying to find a justification because I instinctively want it away from the mixer tap but I need to convince the builder.

Unfortunately there are no technical or regulatory reasons for the waste to be specifically anywhere.

Why have you got a builder doing a plumber's job.
A plumber would let you have your waste where you wanted it.
The builder of limited ability will always wants to take the shortcut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back