Loose tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had one loose tile in my bathroom which I have removed. It was in a corner above the bath and I suspect water got behind it and caused the adhesive to let go, possibly because I think the grout gap in the corner is too small. Or it could be because the adhesive had started to go off before the tile was fitted and it just didn't grab properly. The surrounding tiles are all solid. The wall is ready for the tile to go back (adhesive removed, unibonded and holes filled).

I have two questions:

I have a diamond edge tile saw, should I risk trying to take about 1mm off the edge so I can get a proper grout gap bearing in mind I have no spare tiles?

What can I use to re-fix just one porcelain tile approx 200 x 250 mm?

Many thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
Corners should have an expansion gap, so if tiles are butted in the corner, and grouted, rather than having the corner with a proper gap and a flexible silicone fillet, tiles can loosen with expansion/contraction and grout erosion.

It is possible to grind a small amount from the edge using a diamond tile saw, or even an angle grinder with sufficient care and skill, depending on the brittleness of the tile. However, if you cannot source the tile, you have only one chance to get it right.

Set the fence on the saw to the right size for the cut required and take it slowly, especially near the end of the cut, where the corner can often fracture.

When replacing the tile, work cleanly, and use no more adhesive than is necessary, cleaning out any excess adhesive which fills the corner gap and other grout joints. Use the correct size tile spacers or suitable alternatives if you have them.

Once the adhesive is set, grout the tile back in and apply a sanitary mould resistant silicone joint to the corner gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back