loose toilet seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,
I have a quick question regarding my toilet seat which has become loose. I had a look, and found that the plastic bolt/screw/nut which screws the seat onto the bowl is damaged. (to illustrate myself, please look at the image. It is the milky white part, the bottom right part, taken from its intact counterpart) //www.diynot.com/network/tabita/albums/732/2626

Do you think B&Q sells JUST that white part? And what is the proper name for it? ie, when I ask the B&Q people, what do I say where do I look for "this thing"?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Morning,

The piece of kit you are after is a composite ablution (seat) retaining device.

I Googled it and found a supplier, which I include here. Chances are high that the thread is exactly the same as the one you have:

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Toilet_Fittings_Bolts_And_Washers.html

The price (for what it is) is a bit steep but it's better than forking out for a new loo seat. If you know the manufacturer and model of the seat (and it's a current one) you could phone them up and explain that you just bought it and the nut was damaged. Probably get a replacement mailed to you for gratis.

cheers,

Baz[/i]

Thanks BarryFig. ah...indeed, the price on that website is expensive... It's half of what I bought my toilet seat for. At this rate, I might be better off buying a new toilet seat altogether...change of colour would be good...

What about B&Q? I can't seem to be able to come up with a search for that. Any idea if they sell it at all?

Hi Tabita,

I strongly doubt that B&Q sells such kit. Like most DIY chains, their solution would be to sell you a new toilet seat. Great for their bottom line, bad for your pocket/purse (and the environment)! Generally, quality of bathrooms (and accessories) that are sold in such outlets are not favoured by plumbers.

A good Plumbers Merchant would probably carry one. Frankly I have thrown many of them away over time. The thing with low cost toilet seats is they discolour quite quickly. Save up and buy a good one!

Another idea - keep your eyes open for a plumbers van (not one that's just parked in the multi-story - this is not Grand Theft Auto!) you want the plumber. My experience is that plumbers are a friendly bunch, in the main. A pound to a penny he will have one (probably several) in his van. Smile and ask for his advice (as in 'Do you know of anywhere local where I can buy this? B&Q want to charge me £65 for a new seat!) He will be happy that you stopped and asked his advice and he will probably give you the nut for nowt.

Good luck!

Baz

Sponsored Links
hey youth,

funny how you should suggest that, cuz that's exactly what I did. Well, half of what I did. I bought a pack of hex nuts and screwed it on. It did half the job. The seat doesn't stick properly onto the toilet bowl. It feels slippery. I think the black bit or yellow bit (in my posted picture) is not sticking nicely onto the bowl.
so, where do I buy these bits?

or! can someone recommend me a good toilet seat from Argos? what features should I be looking for? Budget around £15?

Thanks

BarryFig,

ah, I appreciate your response, and sorry for this late acknowledgement.
I think I might have trouble establishing enough rapport with a plumber to have him give me the bolt and washer. hehe... if! i can find a plumber on the road side first.

In my previous post, I said I'm also considering a new toilet seat. I bought my old one fairly cheaply from Argos, and I don't notice any discolouration. But the one thing I hate is that it got loose after a while. Any recommendations?

Hey Tabita,

Right, new seats for your throne - depends on what you want because there are 1,000s out there. I really wouldn't do cheap because you get the kind of result you have now. Avoid the painted mdf seats. The painted surface wears off over time and if you get a chip or two (not the potato kind) it looks horrible.

A natural wooded one can look nice - not pine because they change colour (orange!). Problem with these is that the surface can also wear and if damp gets into the wood you will get staining. Theres examples of all of these here (including the avoid category) I have bought stuff from these guys - no worries:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/toilet-seat-special-offers-1703-0000

I would go for solid plastic personally in the colour of your choice if your suite is white you can go for something funky (make sure you copy the whole address (it's long):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Funky-Fun-Nov...0093522QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I would go for white personally. Classic clean and contemporary (just like me):

http://www.u-diy.co.uk/index.aspx?s=Product&p=3321

happy huntin....

Baz

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back