Toilet seat not sitting flush with rim of toilet bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new toilet seat from B&Q a few days ago, a Cedo 'New Tarragon' (plastic seat). It looks nice, seems to be good and strong (as opposed to the flimsy cheap ones). It cost £23.

I fitted it okay but it doesn't sit 100% flush with the rim of the toilet bowl - on the right side it's fine, but on the left side the two plastic 'rests' (not sure what they are called) sit a couple of mm above the bowl (until you sit on the seat of course!).

I'm sure that it's fitted correctly, surely it's not warped?

Is there anything that I can do to remedy this or is it best left? I can't imagine it doing any harm, although perhaps intermittent flexing will cause damage to the seat through stress cracking it in the long term?

Out of interest, what white plastic toilet seat make/model would people here recommend, and where to buy one? (I doubt that B&Q will give me a refund on this one though seeing as it's been used for a few days).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I bought a new toilet seat from B&Q a few days ago, a Cedo 'New Tarragon' (plastic seat). It looks nice, seems to be good and strong (as opposed to the flimsy cheap ones). It cost £23.

I fitted it okay but it doesn't sit 100% flush with the rim of the toilet bowl - on the right side it's fine, but on the left side the two plastic 'rests' (not sure what they are called) sit a couple of mm above the bowl (until you sit on the seat of course!).

I'm sure that it's fitted correctly, surely it's not warped?

Is there anything that I can do to remedy this or is it best left? I can't imagine it doing any harm, although perhaps intermittent flexing will cause damage to the seat through stress cracking it in the long term?

Out of interest, what white plastic toilet seat make/model would people here recommend, and where to buy one? (I doubt that B&Q will give me a refund on this one though seeing as it's been used for a few days).

Thanks

B & Q will refund EVERYTHING nomatter how much it has been used if returned in less than a year.
NO questions asked too.

People even return paint- even if the pot is almost empty.

Take it back-get refund and buy another one .
2nd time lucky !!

Sponsored Links
B & Q will refund EVERYTHING nomatter how much it has been used if returned in less than a year.
NO questions asked too.

2nd time lucky !!

Really? Didn't realise that they were that generous with their refunds. :)

So does it sound like the seat is warped, or am I missing a trick somewhere?

Will it eventually cause any cracking (for example) to continue to use it in its current state? After all, it's only a slight flexing issue.

NO questions asked too.

2nd time lucky !!

Really? Didn't realise that they were that generous with their refunds. :)

So does it sound like the seat is warped, or am I missing a trick somewhere?

I would very much doubt that the seat is wharped (or 'out of twist' as a qualified joiner would say) -but- who cares ? Just take it back-get another one - and try again.
Pan certainly wont be 'out of twist'-. BUT- toilet seat fittings - being plastic- may be a little 'different'.
try it and see- nothing lost and everything to gain.

good luck.

I would very much doubt that the seat is wharped (or 'out of twist' as a qualified joiner would say) -but- who cares ? Just take it back-get another one - and try again.
Pan certainly wont be 'out of twist'-. BUT- toilet seat fittings - being plastic- may be a little 'different'.

good luck.

Thanks. In fact, and surprisingly enough, the fittings for this seat are metal.

good luck.

Thanks. In fact, and surprisingly enough, the fittings for this seat are metal.

Bolts May be metal..
Rest will be plastic .
Metal and ceramics DONT' mix .
Cracks, rust etc .

ps-- is this a wind up ?.

Only asking !!

Why would this be a wind-up? Some of my questions may seem daft, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, especially when I've spent 23 quid on a toilet seat that doesn't appeat to sit correctly. :)

Good point about metal and plastic not mixing!

Why would this be a wind-up? Some of my questions may seem daft, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, especially when I've spent 23 quid on a toilet seat that doesn't appeat to sit correctly. :)

Good point about metal and plastic not mixing!

Is it a 'soft close' seat ?

The bit I don't get! If you think it might be warped, why not check it.
Two rulers, two minutes job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back